Poorly controlled diabetes costs the NHS GBP3 billion per year, study reveals

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone find a link to the source document please?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
An apocryphal tale. My next door neighbour has many health issues one of which is Type 2 diabetes. His diabetes is not well managed as he mostly follows NHS advice and continues to eat large amounts of carbohydrate. He was recently admitted to hospital as an emergency patient with severe breathing difficulties. When I went to visit he had been given the following to eat. Breakfast had been porridge and toast, lunch sandwich and fruit and dinner, which he ate while I was there, orange juice, sausage and mash with peas and fruit salad. The staff were aware that he is diabetic as they administered metformin while I was there. Diabetics don't stand a chance under the current guidelines. Having been silent about my own diagnosis for 5 years, I waited until he was at home and a little better and went round to talk about LCHF!
The NHS has a huge responsibility for not giving people a range of dietary models to follow and for educating STAFF accordingly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the headline should be... NHS gives bad advice to diabetics costing lives and giving itself a massive bill in the process.