1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Poorly controlled diabetes costs the NHS GBP3 billion per year, study reveals

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by DCUK NewsBot, Sep 19, 2019.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone find a link to the source document please?

2. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An apocryphal tale. My next door neighbour has many health issues one of which is Type 2 diabetes. His diabetes is not well managed as he mostly follows NHS advice and continues to eat large amounts of carbohydrate. He was recently admitted to hospital as an emergency patient with severe breathing difficulties. When I went to visit he had been given the following to eat. Breakfast had been porridge and toast, lunch sandwich and fruit and dinner, which he ate while I was there, orange juice, sausage and mash with peas and fruit salad. The staff were aware that he is diabetic as they administered metformin while I was there. Diabetics don't stand a chance under the current guidelines. Having been silent about my own diagnosis for 5 years, I waited until he was at home and a little better and went round to talk about LCHF!
    The NHS has a huge responsibility for not giving people a range of dietary models to follow and for educating STAFF accordingly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

So the headline should be... NHS gives bad advice to diabetics costing lives and giving itself a massive bill in the process.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook