Porridge with dried strawberries...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In what way? Did it mess up your blood glucose? Or did it just taste awful?

susanmanley

I like berries in my porridge but they are getting very dear so I got some dried strawberries. They taste of nothing although they smell quite nice.

Back to nuts and raisins!!

Look forward to berries in the summer. If I was more organised i would use frozen berries I suppose

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Couldn't you use frozen berries straight from the freezer as they would defrost in the hot porridge? I buy bags of frozen blueberries from Sainsbury's (other supermarkets are available) and usually try and defrost them overnight before having them in Greek yogurt for breakfast (but have been known to forget).

Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
susanmanley said:
Look forward to berries in the summer. If I was more organised i would use frozen berries I suppose

I have blueberries in my porridge every morning and at this time of year it costs a small fortune, in the summer months you can pick up a tray of blueberries for less than a £1 (Lidl and Aldi) the ones I'm buying at the moment from Tesco's are from South Africa and costs £2 for a 200g tray.....for some reason can't get them in Lidl and Aldi but hopefully they'll be back in soon.

I'm not keen on frozen berries having tried them once before :thumbdown:

metalmagpie

Try this: Porridge with one tablespoon of Cinnamon, sliced banana and milk. Cook as usual with the banana in. After simmering for a couple of minutes and while still on the stove, add two eggcups (or more as desired) of Whisky. The alcohol flashes off but the flavour is wonderful. Cheers one up and lots of slow release GI to keep you going until lunchtime.

CantThinkOfAUsername

metalmagpie said:
Try this: Porridge with one tablespoon of Cinnamon, sliced banana and milk. Cook as usual with the banana in. After simmering for a couple of minutes and while still on the stove, add two eggcups (or more as desired) of Whisky. The alcohol flashes off but the flavour is wonderful. Cheers one up and lots of slow release GI to keep you going until lunchtime.

Porridge with FOS to sweeten, some virgin coconut oil for taste and energy and some Bio yoghurt for the immune system. I adored this. Now on v low carb so it's out and I miss it :(

susanmanley

I am lucky that the porridge does not seem to upset levels too much but stay low/no carb rest of time

Does the body deal with it better in morning?