Portable lunches

Tannedhaggis

hi folks, this web site is the best source of info I have found. Well done to all that contributes. I have a family history of obesity with both my father and brother type 2 diabetics. I don't want to join them so I am trying to change my eating habits for the better. From reading all the posts I have decided to embark on a low carb lifestyle. Had a great first week with 2kg down. However I am missing the convenience of bread products to take to work for lunch. Would love some suggestions.

Reactions: Chook

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you live? If you're in the UK you can get "protein rolls" from Lidl supermarkets (9g carbs in 100g product unlike bread which is 50+g per 100g) that are pretty good - do a search on "Lidl protein rolls" for more info. Or you can do lettuce leaf wraps - also when I do a packed lunch things like babybel cheeses, cooked good-quality sausages and good old boiled eggs are also easy to put in a lunchbox. Not forgetting proper (i.e. NOT "low-calorie" or "low-fat") greek-type yogurts, cottage cheese, home-made coleslaw (veggies & proper mayo) is also good. Just needs a little bit of preparation - but a lot more interesting than just sarnies!

Tannedhaggis

Where do you live? If you're in the UK you can get "protein rolls" from Lidl supermarkets (9g carbs in 100g product unlike bread which is 50+g per 100g) that are pretty good - do a search on "Lidl protein rolls" for more info. Or you can do lettuce leaf wraps - also when I do a packed lunch things like babybel cheeses, cooked good-quality sausages and good old boiled eggs are also easy to put in a lunchbox. Not forgetting proper (i.e. NOT "low-calorie" or "low-fat") greek-type yogurts, cottage cheese, home-made coleslaw (veggies & proper mayo) is also good. Just needs a little bit of preparation - but a lot more interesting than just sarnies!

Many thanks Deespee for the great suggestions. I didn't think of lettuce wraps that will work well. I am an ex Scot living in Australia, so Lidl are not here yet. I do have a Helgas lower carb bread, at 9g carbs per slice. I will starting looking for lower carb rolls.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Look up fathead pizza on google. It is very easy to make, low carb, and tough enough to make a decent sandwich. It is also amazingly delicious. I put a good amount of italian seasoning in and you would never know it is made from almonds and cheese. Make it square and cut into sandwich slices. It is also extremely filling and will stick with you for a very long time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do kind of 'get' the convenience of bread, but it is such a pointless carb load, with very little nutrition, that I just dismiss it nowadays. :)

cold meats
cooked sausages
diced cheese
olives
cherry tomatoes
greek salad
greek yog and berries
hummus and celery sticks to dip
slices of cheese and ham (can be eaten like a sandwich)
hard boiled eggs
egg mayo
egg mayo with crispy bacon strips as 'spoons'
green smoothies
homemade soup in a flask (takes about 10 mins to make)
bulletproof hot choc in a flask
bulletproof coffee in a flask
pork scratchings
9bars (the lowest carb flavours)
Kind bars (check the carb content)

if you want cakes and baked goods there are thousands of recipes on the Web. Just type in 'low carb brownie recipe' or 'low carb muffin recipe' and you will be inundated. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm not having lunch at the moment but my husband (bless him) is doing his best to help me keep to my low carb way of eating by adopting a similar paleo based diet and he mainly takes to work proper meals. If we are cooking something thats easy to size up like moussaka, chilli, curry or shepherds pie we'll cook 10 to 12 portions and freeze the left over portions in microwaveable containers. That is okay, of course, if you have access to a microwave. Failing that we both love cold omlette or crustless quiche with substantial fillings. His current favourite is cold omlette stuffed with bacon, sausages and mushrooms which he cooks the night before.

If its any help the desire for bread does fade in time.

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Tannedhaggis

Look up fathead pizza on google. It is very easy to make, low carb, and tough enough to make a decent sandwich. It is also amazingly delicious. I put a good amount of italian seasoning in and you would never know it is made from almonds and cheese. Make it square and cut into sandwich slices. It is also extremely filling and will stick with you for a very long time.
OMG fathead pizza sounds amazing. I have bought all the ingredients and plan to have a go tomorrow. Many thanks Chalup
Great advice Brunneria, thank you. I have already made my first batch of almond cupcakes which I have had when I need something sweet.
Thanks Chook, I have been trying to expand my food choices. I think I have overdosed on eggs and nuts. It is good know that I may lose the desire over time.

Reactions: Brunneria