Positive attitude

Margi

Well, 'positive attitude' is probably one of the most annoying phrases there is, but I found one today.

I was delivering Avon catalogues and knocked on a house door to be greeted by a smiling man in a wheelchair. He had one leg amputated above the knee and the other was bandaged and swollen. Rather thoughtlessly, before I noticed the missing leg, I said, 'Oh! What happened?' He answered with a chuckle: 'Well, they said I needed to lose some weight, so they chopped my leg off.'

We chatted a bit and I discovered he had had an ulcer that he hadn't noticed until it had gone gangrenous and it was too late to save the leg by then. His attitude was so positive, he looked cheerful and carefree, and he said, 'well, you have to get on with life.' I know he must find it very hard, but I guess I'm a bit in awe of the guy for his fantastic attitude to the awfulness of what has just happened to him. This is recent for him, he is still bandaged and looking forward to having a prosthetic leg. And yes, the problem was caused by diabetic neuropathy.

I just thought it was worth sharing the meeting with you guys. It sounds awful to be cheered by meeting a man with such misfortune, but his manner gave me that 'positive vibe' feeling. I hope he has a great life ahead of him still.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, margi. Thanks for sharing this with us all.
Yes in the face of adversity and illhealth it is always wiser to be more positive and grateful to overcome things.
As there is ALWAYS someone far more worse off than ourselves.
Plus a positive outlook and frame of mind is a much more attractive attitude and personality.
I only have to think of the young children with terminal illness.Their little lives shortened by a cruel and harsh terminal illness.
This never fails to make me so grateful and humble to have what I have and cope with it with a smile too. :D
We do need to remember life is precious and to be lived.
Anna. x :D