Positive pregnancy test!!! Eeeeeeeekkkk!!!

Bizzy-Bee

Amazing news! I'm about 5 months pregnant now and had the same questions. Take insulin 15-20 mins before a meal. I also take extra insulin when I eat to stop the post-meal spikes which means I need to snack 10-15g of carb about 1-2 hours after a meal as well. I found breakfast tricky as it is a mostly carb meal so it is useful to try to add some protein to breakfast of you can (I.e ham on your toast)! That's what the clinic suggested but I can't quite bring myself to eat meat at breakfast!

Also - don't worry too much about a few spikes here and there. I've got my hba1c down to 6% now but was 7.4% when I conceived and I still have spikes sometimes. I'm at Kings and see the pregnancy diabetes team every two weeks so they check all my readings and suggests adjustments. They're amazing so you'll be in good hands I'm sure - wherever you are!

Good luck! x

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much! I've got an appointment with the dsn tomorrow! She has been off so will be in for a shock! Hahah! I'm just trying to sort out my mornings! In waking up at about 7, but in the night when I test I'm around 5?

Then it's a knock on affect in the rest of the morning! I've tried upping my basal this morning, and imhave had to up it again for tomorrow! I didn't expect to make changes so soon? Is this usual? I didn't find out I was pregnant till late with my little boy, and I don't remember any of this or alarm bells would have rang! Definitely feel more of a surge of hormones this time! Unbelievably sore boobs! Sorry for tmi! But wondering if this is what's causing my sugars to rise? Do they settle then rise again in 3rd trimester? Had no trouble till end of 2nd/3rd trimester last time! All help appreciated thanks so much girls X X x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you've got an appointment @Sarahkylie88 don't shock her too much you're going to need her haha

Have you got a few different basal settings through the night? I have one that starts at 3am as I start to rise around 4/5am so it catches the rise before it starts but it took a fair bit of playing around for me to get it right, and you can bet as soon as you get it right there will be a change not long after lol it's all fun n games! You sound like you're doing fab so far though, readings of 7 aren't the worst to wake up with, yeah they need to be lower but at least it's not readings in the teens :)

Let us know how your appointment goes :) xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Mrsass appointment went well today! And sugars been a little bit more settled today too! I do have different basal settings too, I need a lot more in the morning than at night! My basal rate also kicked in at 3am, but I tested at 4am and was 8 then 6.7 this morning. Dsn has changed higher basal rate to start at 2am rather than 3! So I'll see how things go tonight! Starting to feel some lovely symptoms now, some heartburn and feeling a bit sickly in the mornings (after breakfast!) she has also told me to add an extra unit to my breakfast bolus and have a free 10g snack at about 1.5-2hrs.

How are you feelin so far?
I don't know when I should tell work, I'm going to have to say something with having an appointment every 2 weeks! And a scan too at 8weeks! If there is a perk of being type 1 and preggers it's definitely the extra scans!! X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad the appointment went well Hun.
Makes sense about changing the time of the basal so hope you see a difference from doing that.

Personally i told work within a few days of finding out, mainly because I was getting a lot of lows and they were coming on quickly, I work on a shop floor so it would have been difficult to hide drinking all the gallons of lucozade I did at that point lol

Have you got s date for your 8 week scan?

Yeah I'm loving the extra scans, got my 32w tomorrow

I feel for you with the heartburn n sickly ness, hope you don't have it most of the time like I have xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not feeling too bad to be honest! Felt a little sickly today and a few stretchy type feelings in my tummy! I think my scan will be the 17th of May! Got appointment with diabetic doc, gynaecologist, dsn and midwife on Tuesday. Will also have a booking in app before my scan! I told one of the managers at work because I will be working with her in a Tuesday when my appointments are, so one person knows. I am lucky that I am able to test freely and drink lucazade freely most of the time. I am also going through lucazade like it's going out of fashion!! 4.8 first thing and 4.7 one hour after breakfast today free 10g snack, then I still went hypo! Oh well! One of those things hey!!

How did your scan go? How is baby? Are u being induced X

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah it's good you told someone especially when the lows will get more frequent for a bit it's best someone knows why, it's crazy how your readings can stay that low after having breakfast plus a snack isn't it lol

Scan was all good although she's got a lot bigger so midwife said my consultant might want to bring my 36w scan forward but will see what he says when I see him on 9th may, at the minute I'm going to be induced on 8th June but now it seems that may change lol I'm not bothered though as long as what ever is done is what's best for us both :)

Reactions: 2 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations! These things have a habit of happening when they want to, not when you plan them. My cousin's wife, a teacher, had it all planned that she would get pregnant so she could time it to see the school year out and start her maternity leave at the end of the summer holiday. They got a bit tiddly one night though and the baby was actually born in March! Hope everything goes well for you.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it all went well @Mrsass! I was the same, totally easygoing! They let me go to 38weeks last time and my little boy was 11lb 1oz!! I had uncontrollable dawn phenomena then which they are hoping to counteract by me being on the pump this time! They talked about a c section at 36 weeks where his scan showed he was 9lb 6oz, but left me till 38 weeks! They will do what they think is best for u and baba!

That's so true @Magisham!! We thought we would have a few months to fall pregnant, so reckoned we would have a spring/summer baby this time! Nope... Another winter baby it is!! We all our in our family tho! Everyone born over the winter months!! Just glad it has happened

Reactions: 4 people

Loulou52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations
Thought I'd check in here as haven't looked at the page in a while. Lots has changed. Good luck with the pregnancy and the diabetes management. Lou ☺

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was just wondering, ladies, how quickly did you have to up your insulin:carb ratios? I seem to be powering through then at the moment! All of them have gone up in order to get my sugar down below 7.8 one hour after my meal! Just seems constant! Didn't notice it last time till k was well into my second trimester? X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine wasn't till my second trimester but then went back down, then back up massively lol I think these baby's just like to keep us guessing what's going to happen next! Xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine just keeps changing already! Every meal requires a lower ratio than before, but I think n because it has to be back down in one hour rather than 2 and coupled with the hormones... It's just time to play havoc! Hope things settle for a bit at least! If I keep on this ratio I'll be on a 1:1 in no time! Lol you're right they do like to keep us on our toes! X