Positives of having Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
lozfb said:
I HAVE HAD TYPE 1 DIABETES FOR OVER 29 YEARS AND TRUST ME, THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVES TO HAVING DIABETES. I APPLAUD YOUR EFFORT TO BE POSITIVE BUT SERIOUSLY, AS SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD DIABETES OVER 10 TIMES LONGER THAN YOU, THERE ARE NO POSITIVES. OF COURSE IF YOU MANAGE YOUR DIABETES WELL YOU CAN LIVE A LONG HEALTHY LIFE BUT SERIOUSLY, THERE ARE TOO MANY NEGATIVES TO LIST

Hi Type 1 24 years this summer, always just got on with it, even from diagnosis, but lately i've been finding it difficult and had lots of negative thoughts about the big D :thumbdown: I have posted about this, its the little children that are diagnosed with Type 1 that breaks my heart :cry: I do understand how you are feeling :crazy:

Best wishes RRB

BarbaraMc

Well, after 2 years of totally mixed messages from my surgery, I have to say I'm still very depressed about it. The nurse told me my blood sugar had improved, the doctor said "No, she must be getting confused with the old measurements". When I refused statins, the nurse said if my cholesterol was the same in 3 months, she would have to inform my doctor ! I said "Be my guest !" (It wasn't that high, believe me).
More recently, she complimented me on all readings, and I told her I didn't achieve it by following NHS guidelines - she said "No, that's fine, as long as you have carbs with every meal, doesn't have to be a lot" Yeah, right ! and that's easier said than done.
I have also cured quite a serious chocolate habit, but still have a problem passing fish and chip shops without going in (don't give in often). And with Arthritis, I struggle to exercise - if I fall down, getting up is farcical, to say the least . . . .
BUT . . .there's shedloads of advice on here, and most of the people are friendly and helpful. I have learned to read as much as possible, and take away all the parts I need.
It has also helped me with an aunt who was prescribed statins, and promptly developed memory problems, and then elevated blood sugar over a period of 3 months. She was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, despite the lack of any evidence of TIAs, and altho' her Blood Sugar is ok now, the memory is still lost.
However, at the end of the day, it's definitely better to be aware of it than not!
I have also noticed how many comments that can't find any positives have one tucked away there in the prose!
Keep up the good work !

makka

Diabetes has given me a focus to get healthier so I will eventually be slim, trim, healthier and fitter, and as my wife is also eating in line with my dietry requirements I will have a slimmer trimmer even more gorgeous wife!

I have always been interested in food, now I have an excuse to be really geeky about what I eat :)

I will hopefully live longer and see my children grow to adulthood and start their own families, and that will be the thing that is worth the most of all!