Positives of having diabetes?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love your signature. Would tick Funny, but that would not be appropriate to the rest of your posting. I Like your attitude too, which I rate positive.Will Metformin be enough to get you into orbit? Mine got me excused from Jury Service [LOL]

Reactions: 2 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm new to this so for me it's more a case of what I hope will happen now I'm watching my BS (and eating LCHF):

- weight loss, so I look better and can buy my clothes in normal shops instead of making compromises in the very few outsized clothing stores here (or ordering online from the UK);
- weight loss, so I can rediscover my cheekbones and be less afraid of having my photo taken;
- that my blood pressure will go down (although I have my doubts as I was diagnosed at a reasonable weight);
- that my snoring will stop;
- that I'll go less red in the face.

Although I'm already enjoying:

- fewer cravings;
- not dozing after certain meals;
- calm digestion (I used to suspect IBS);
- eating "real" food and having no choice but to avoid junk (which is overpriced when you think about it).

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
I,m an optimist so should find it some kind of blessing.
1I know more about healthy eating now, lost 11/2 stone on l.c.diet
2 I exercise everyday and now have abs (oh get me)
3 I climbed Snowdon over Grib Croc to prove something to myself.
4 I get to have challenging dialogue with health professionals that wish to feed me tablets.
5 had to buy lots of new clothes
6 I have a new friend in this forum so not all bad?

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I can't understand my hblac gone down from 59 to 57 been told that it not a lot of difference confused can someone say the differance to meter reading plz

Loppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm. I don't believe in blessings (or curses come to think of it but anyway..) but I did have a positive experience. I think you're a type 1, I'm type 2, diagnosed late in 2011. After adopting a lower carb diet, I lost a lot of weight, nearly 6 stones over the next couple of years after diagnosis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with a rare cancer and the treatment for it was very aggressive - the Oncologists word was "brutal". It left me with terrible burns, and I was bedridden for a while, it has also left me with long term side effects. I am absolutely positive that if I had been diagnosed at the time I was so big, I would have not healed half as well as I did, would have been susceptible to infection, and would have struggled to get moving too. I went through hell, if I had been 6 stones heavier and less healthy generally, my recovery may have been very different.

So that is the positive thing I have taken from it. I know it's personal to me, but without my diabetes diagnosis, life could have been a lot harder. I hop you find the positivity you need to get you through this difficult patch x

Loppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I need some positivity at the moment so...
Who thinks having diabetes can add some good points to your life and why?
I was originally diagnosed with t2 , lost 7st and last year was diagnosed as t1. I have been very unwell for a year and was repeatedly told by dr it was due to my diabetes. In Dec 2015 I was in hospital with DKA & sepsis it was then discovered I had bowel cancer the tumour has penetrated my uterus and I am awaiting major op. So my point is diabetes did me no favours in this instance. Loppy.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't understand my hblac gone down from 59 to 57 been told that it not a lot of difference confused can someone say the differance to meter reading plz
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/api/tools/hba1c.html will help you see approximately how it ties in with your meter readings (I am presuming you have access to one), If not, then it will allow you to compare your progress against what others here are reporting. You moved in the right direction with the HbA1c, but you still need to shift it further down of you can.

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Yes got meter thanks for help I thought it was a good drop

sugarrush

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have Type 1 and inject 3 times a day so not a lot of positives!! However it hasn't affected my sight, I'm short sighted anyway but I'm thankful for no diabetic changes.
Thanks to the NHS I dont pay for my prescriptions, hardly a big thing but every little helps.
Diabetic airline meals are nicer.
The biggie for me though is Heartlands Hospital. The care and support I get is faultless.:):). We hear a lot about how bad hospitals are but their diabetic unit is brilliant.

Reactions: 4 people

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I really can't understand any of the comments above stating that there are any life benefits as a result of having diabetes. It has gone a long way to ruining mine. I have never been overweight (BMI of around 22 to 23.something), I believe I've always had a tolerably good diet (same as my siblings when young, and they're not diabetic), I have always been fairly active, (without being a gym fan but partaking in some sport, cycling, walking, etc), in fact a fairly good, balanced lifestyle. I now try to severely limit my carb intake and continue with the exercise and still the BG reading I get vary wildly, often to the extent that I wonder if my meter is broken. I understand the real meaning of the word depression, and I'm not there yet, but, when I test my blood sugars after a day of carb abstinence and find them well into the teens, I wonder how long I can prevent a dangerous slide down that slope.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I really can't understand any of the comments above stating that there are any life benefits as a result of having diabetes. It has gone a long way to ruining mine. I have never been overweight (BMI of around 22 to 23.something), I believe I've always had a tolerably good diet (same as my siblings when young, and they're not diabetic), I have always been fairly active, (without being a gym fan but partaking in some sport, cycling, walking, etc), in fact a fairly good, balanced lifestyle. I now try to severely limit my carb intake and continue with the exercise and still the BG reading I get vary wildly, often to the extent that I wonder if my meter is broken. I understand the real meaning of the word depression, and I'm not there yet, but, when I test my blood sugars after a day of carb abstinence and find them well into the teens, I wonder how long I can prevent a dangerous slide down that slope.

Have you had all the diagnostic tests done? If you're getting BGL's in the teens after substantially cutting carbs then there are a number of variables that could be affecting you.

You say you're type 2, although do you know whether or not your pancreas is still producing sufficient insulin? Mine certainly isn't and I have to be on insulin to control my BGLs. The other possibility is that if you've only been diagnosed a short time you may in fact have type 1.5 (aka: LADA) as that is like a slow onset auto immune diabetes and often gets misdiagnosed as type 2. Of course they can find both of the above options out by doing the diagnostic tests again for you.

I hope you're able to get help with getting your BGLs under control. Maybe you need to be on some meds or insulin?

I do know what you mean by depressing.... I get a bit down at times trying to deal with all my health stuff as it has impacted my life in a huge way. I don't care what anyone says about "it could be worse" to me because they're usually not the ones who had to reduce working hours, can't talk properly, can't sleep properly, etc. I try and stay as positive as I can, but I have my moments, days, or even months. I did get told by 2 clinical psychologists that they view I have what they call depression because of circumstances, and not clinical depression because I can still function. They also told me I'm doing remarkably well considering all the stuff I'm dealing with. It is our outlook that matters... each day is a new day to push through and gain what we can.

I wish you the best :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just spent some time catching up on this thread, and I've been finding it really helpful. It's so, so useful reading other people's experiences on this - it's an education.

Great thread, @Tubzi !

:)

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had all the diagnostic tests done? If you're getting BGL's in the teens after substantially cutting carbs then there are a number of variables that could be affecting you.

You say you're type 2, although do you know whether or not your pancreas is still producing sufficient insulin? Mine certainly isn't and I have to be on insulin to control my BGLs. The other possibility is that if you've only been diagnosed a short time you may in fact have type 1.5 (aka: LADA) as that is like a slow onset auto immune diabetes and often gets misdiagnosed as type 2. Of course they can find both of the above options out by doing the diagnostic tests again for you.

I hope you're able to get help with getting your BGLs under control. Maybe you need to be on some meds or insulin?

I do know what you mean by depressing.... I get a bit down at times trying to deal with all my health stuff as it has impacted my life in a huge way. I don't care what anyone says about "it could be worse" to me because they're usually not the ones who had to reduce working hours, can't talk properly, can't sleep properly, etc. I try and stay as positive as I can, but I have my moments, days, or even months. I did get told by 2 clinical psychologists that they view I have what they call depression because of circumstances, and not clinical depression because I can still function. They also told me I'm doing remarkably well considering all the stuff I'm dealing with. It is our outlook that matters... each day is a new day to push through and gain what we can.

I wish you the best :)

I've known about my diabetes for about ten years, I am on metformin and gliclazide, the doses of which have increased slightly over that period. Only recently have I decided to go low carb high fat, as my previous regime hasn't seemed to make a great deal of difference. I've yet to have my HbA1c checked since I have gone LCHF but that is due soon. As far as food and drink enjoyment is concerned, it's a miserable existence, but, as is so often said, there are always others far worse off. Hey ho, C'est la vie!

Thank you for your wishes, that's nice.

Reactions: 3 people