** Possible Boots The Chemist Alert **

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use my local (small town) Boots - always fine. I have a monthly repeat and just tick it as I pick up the package and they text me when the next one comes in USUALLY! Occasionally there has been no text or an item missing but they usually come good for me!! However, there has recently been a change of staff and they don't seem to be quite so on the ball! I miss the old pharmacist who knew me by name and what meds I was on etc. Still, I'll give the new team a chance!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried an online national service, repeat prescriptions through the post, on the dot (that fell through when the surgery decided not to play ball). Very sad over that.

Boots has been a mixed bag - usually depending on the pharmacist on duty. One lady spotted a drugs clash with a new prescription (the doc hadn't), but another blithely typed 1 tab twice a day, rather than 0.5 tab twice a week on the bottle. :eek: It could have killed me.

My corner chemist was the worst. Oh my goodness. They offer to take your prescription, organise the repeats and deliver to the door (it is 200 yrds). In 8 months of trying it NEVER happened. And it was a different thing went wrong every time. Mr B and I used to giggle about it. I was trying so hard to support a local independent and they just shot themselves in the foot every time.

Now, I order prescription online with surgery. Wait 4 days (2 is never enough), go and pick it up. Take it to the chemist next to the surgery. They usually fill it immediately, but sometimes have to go back a day later.

So much depends on the staff and their level of good natured professionalism, and efficiency.

Whoever said technology is a step forward? :hilarious:

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
A long time ago I used to get my prescriptions from my local Boots. They dispensed the wrong medication for a non-diabetes related condition, and I assumed my GP had changed it, as the med was for a condition we had been discussing. It made me dangerously unwell, and earned Boots a stinging complaint letter from my GP. (Partly my own stupidity, but it taught me to question things more, though, which has got to be a good thing)

Marferret

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No problems with Boots in Hazlemere, Bucks. Maybe it's just your Boots.
It's definitely my Boots too ! I order from the GP on the Internet, and they process it quickly. But the Chemist (one of those adjacent to the surgery) takes ages, and these days doesn't seem to text. I keep a reserve stock of all my Meds so I can't run out. I give the Boots a week to fulfil the prescription, then go in and ask. I think the Branch Manager just doesn't manage it very well.

Mrs of type 1

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to use Boots for my hubbys prescription as its the only chemist in our area that can get 40mg Duloxetine tablets which is on his repeat. I would say out of the past 12 months they have only got his prescription correct once. Not only do we have problems with Boots but now his doctors won't allow you to ring up and query when items are left off. Everything has to be done through the chemist!! I always dread every month when it's time to collect the medication as its such a battle to get what is he needs.

S

Shar67

I used 2 different branches of boots and both were rubbish, they held all of items on repeat whilst waiting for one, never had stock in always seem to have to ordered, they didn't seem to get if a person has a repeat prescription they will require items at least once a month if not sooner.

I now use the pharmacy nearest GP surgery and they are great, I know it takes 2 days from asking GP to send presription to pharmacy receiving it. Never been told anything not available and they deliver it. When I was prescriped buprenorphine (controlled drug) I was told it wasn't possible to get as manufacturer was not giving out stock, was told this by 3 Boots and 2 other chain pharmacies, I went to hospital pharmacy to get it filled without problem, they said they would check, there was no problem with manufacturer.

jeannieg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Over my four years as an non insulin-dependent diabetic, I got to learn that my local Boots experienced more 'delay' with prescriptions from my GP's surgery than any other : (
I was started on insulin 29/03 and am having to get to grips with this 'delay' in a more urgent way.
I can request a repeat via GP's website, then sit back and wait... and wait. Eventually Boots send me a text to say ready for collection.

This Bank Holiday weekend was a busy one, and I failed to notice my Levemir would run short Monday night. I had ordered more two weeks previously, but no text.
Called in to Boots this morning. There was my Levemir with a date from last week ! After discussion with the pharmacist, he told me that Boots were having problems with texts being received.

So be aware, if your prescriptions are handled by Boots, and advised by text, you may need to check personally if they are ready for collection.

Living and learning : ))

Geoff
\I too had untold problems using Boots - they old me they would order regularly from my doctor (approx. 750 yards away). I used to go in when my meds were getting low only to be told that they had not been ordered, or in some cases, they didn't have enough stock to fill order, so a trip to the doctors. I suffer from high blood pressure too, so these meds were urgently required. I told Boots that their service had been too bad and I did not want them to get my script from the doctor I would get it myself as I was making two trips each time I needed my meds, once to see if they had been ordered and once to collect.
My prescription is now done through my local Tesco pharmacy. They only problem now is that my meds are ready about two weeks before I need them. Still can't have everything I suppose.

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Similar problem here. My local Boots got me to sign up for their managed prescription service. What is supposed to happen is that every 4 weeks they get my repeat prescription from the surgery (500m away) fill it and text me to come and collect. In the past 18 months that has worked twice. What usually happens is that I arrive to collect my meds to be told that either the surgery hasn't sent the prescription down or that they have been too busy to make it up (I suspect that they haven't even sent the request). Utterly, utterly useless. I often have to come back at least once which all adds to the stress as my lack of confidence in their competence means that I worry about running out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk