Possible gdm

Parks69

At 30wks pregnant I was asked to check my bloods for 1 week
I was unable to carry out the gtt test as I suffer from hyperemesis gravidarum.
I had 4 high fasting readings (5.8 the highest) I had a scan at 31wks and had increased amniotic fluid.
I had to continue with blood testing and was prescribed metaformin (I took this only for two days once in an evening) my blood sugars for the following 3 weeks were Normal with two high fasting readings.
I had a scan at 34wks amniotic fluid was normal but abdominal measurement high.
They’ve suggested that it’s possible gdm but I’ve got another scan in 2 weeks (36wks) to recheck the growth.
I wondered what other people’s experiences have been and if anyone has had an experience like mine.
This is my 4th pregnancy and I’ve never had gdm before.
I just don’t think the results are definitive enough?
Thanks in advance.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Were you only testing once a day?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At 30wks pregnant I was asked to check my bloods for 1 week
I was unable to carry out the gtt test as I suffer from hyperemesis gravidarum.
I had 4 high fasting readings (5.8 the highest) I had a scan at 31wks and had increased amniotic fluid.
I had to continue with blood testing and was prescribed metaformin (I took this only for two days once in an evening) my blood sugars for the following 3 weeks were Normal with two high fasting readings.
I had a scan at 34wks amniotic fluid was normal but abdominal measurement high.
They’ve suggested that it’s possible gdm but I’ve got another scan in 2 weeks (36wks) to recheck the growth.
I wondered what other people’s experiences have been and if anyone has had an experience like mine.
This is my 4th pregnancy and I’ve never had gdm before.
I just don’t think the results are definitive enough?
Thanks in advance.
Hi there. This must be worrying for you but we are not clinicians here so can't say for sure!
However is there any benefit in not behaving as if you had gestational diabetes e.g. taking blood tests occasionally and metformin as advised? If you are still feeling sick at this point it must be hard (not to mention looking after the other kids) but can you eat anything or are you living on whatever you can keep down? As you get older, you can become more insulin resistant/hyper insulinaemic and pregnancy hormones exacerbate this so not having had it before does not mean you won't have it now unfortunately.
The reason I ask about food is that if you didn['t want to take metformin you could change your diet a little! Have done 3 type 1 pregnancies so no direct experience of this but do have experience of larger babies with increased amniotic fluid and know that the measurements aren't always accurate, however you blood glucose levels will give some indication of what's going on!

Parks69

I can eat sometimes but often it’s as and when I can keep it down I’m on medication for the sickness.
I have been taking my bloods 6 times daily. For the last 3 weeks they have all been normal and within range just two morning fasting readings were high.
I don’t want to act as though I’ve got gd and just take metformin as I believe replacing something your body is already sufficient in making itself is just asking for problems and once stop taking my body won’t work as before.
I’ve done lots of reading and believe that my higher fasting readings are due to sickness and possibly extended fasting times?
It just seems so far nothing is consistent at first it was my animiotic fluid now that’s fine but now abdominal circumference is large. And with the only other symptom being two high readings out of 126.
Obviously I appreciate their just airing on the side of caution to not put myself or baby at risk it’s just frustrating there’s nothing consistent or conclusive.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I can eat sometimes but often it’s as and when I can keep it down I’m on medication for the sickness.
I have been taking my bloods 6 times daily. For the last 3 weeks they have all been normal and within range just two morning fasting readings were high.
I don’t want to act as though I’ve got gd and just take metformin as I believe replacing something your body is already sufficient in making itself is just asking for problems and once stop taking my body won’t work as before.
I’ve done lots of reading and believe that my higher fasting readings are due to sickness and possibly extended fasting times?
It just seems so far nothing is consistent at first it was my animiotic fluid now that’s fine but now abdominal circumference is large. And with the only other symptom being two high readings out of 126.
Obviously I appreciate their just airing on the side of caution to not put myself or baby at risk it’s just frustrating there’s nothing consistent or conclusive.

At 28 weeks pregnant I had one fasting blood glucose of 5.1 mmol (92 mg). Based on that I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes here in Australia. At first I tried controlling it with diet but as we all become more insulin resistant as the pregnancy goes on, there is a tendency for blood sugar levels to rise, especially if you are consuming a lot of carbohydrates and have underlying insulin resistance. So for me, despite the fact that I was eating really low carb after the diagnosis, even ketogenically towards the end, I couldn't get my fasting to drop from 5.6 mmol (102 mg), where it crept up to, and I ended up needing insulin for a about 10 weeks. I was up to 21 units of insulin per night before the numbers finally started coming back down to the low 5s.

My baby was born at 37 weeks & 5 days weighing 3.1kg. He was a small baby in the end but large enough for the weeks. He didn't have any problems with his blood sugars after birth thankfully.
I, however, seem to have a lingering glucose intolerance now at 4 months postpartum so am on the look out to make sure it doesn't develop into full blown T2 diabetes and, consequently, am still eating low carb. I've had one slice of cake in about 6 months when before I was eating cake every week and biscuits or chocolate daily... After this one slice of cake (it was a party), I was unable to test my blood glucose levels but had symptoms of hypoglycemia around 3 hours later - shaking and a headache etc. So I don't take it for granted anymore than I can eat carbohydrates in any large quantities.

If I were in your situation and couldn't get a definitive diagnosis, depending on what foods you can stomach of course, I would lean more towards at least eating low carb and no processed carbs at all - just vegetable sources, very limited fruit (berries and maybe kiwi fruit for the potassium) and a slice here and there of whole grain bread, preferably one you have made and know it doesn't contain malt or other sugars. And otherwise eat good fats and protein from fish, meat, cheese, yoghurt, nuts and olive oil. Lily Nichols has some good information about it https://lilynicholsrdn.com/books/

I would completely lay off all the obvious sweet things if you are currently eating any. (I was naughty and eating ice cream before bed just before I was diagnosed - the sugar cravings were strong!).

I only had gestational diabetes diagnosed in my 3rd pregnancy but didn't test in my second. Towards the end of my second pregnancy I couldn't stop peeing. I had a super irritated bladder. I thought it was from caffeine from the cups of tea I was having, but in hindsight, I bet it was high blood sugar and I just wasn't diagnosed. My second baby was not huge but he was just under 4kg at 41 weeks. So a bit bigger than some. Higher sugars may have contributed.

It's hard to deal with cravings and nausea and being pregnant, but there are harder things in life - you would know if you already have 3 kids ;)

Parks69

For anyone following this thread-

My daughter was born at 39 weeks.
I went into labour naturally. She was born at 8.6lbs (this is normal for me) less than they had predicted the week before.

There were no birth complications and they decided that I didn’t have gestational diabetes.

I know that in most cases an increased abdominal circumference indicates gd but in my case I’m glad I trusted my instinct and refused the medication they wanted me to take.

If I’ve any advise it is to do your research never accept an answer you’re unhappy with and trust your instinct.

When I walked into the birth centre they said the consultants have discussed your case and have decided you don’t have gd. Just goes to show not every case is the same.

My daughter is very healthy an excellent feeder and sleeps wonderfully.
I hope no one else has the experience I did as it did spoil the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy.

Thank you to everyone who responded with their own experiences it was really helpful.

xx

Reactions: Diakat