Possible LADA?

Grazer

Have posted this on the general question section, but thought maybe I should pose my query here so apologies for repetition!
Anyway, bit of advice from our expert members if you would.
I have been type 2 for 20 years and manage my own diabetes well. I have also helped a lot of friends and family with the condition over the years.
However, a discussion with a newly-diagnosed friend recently has left me a little concerned.
He is 73 years old, very slim, and as fit as a flea. He Scuba dives, runs and does all the things that make me feel a little lazy!
He has never eaten sweets, pastries, biscuits etc, but he does eat a lot of meat and veg.
Over the last 6 weeks or so he has lost a lot of weight, about 14 pounds from an already very slim frame. Blood tests showed no problems, except a raised blood sugar level (42 mmols) and that was what diagnosed him as pre-diabetic.
It may be he is just unlucky with the old Beta cell count and is indeed pre type 2, but I wonder if the weight loss could indicate something else - LADA?, type 1.5? I don't really understand those conditions, so views would be welcome.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1.5 and LADA are usually the same thing. But as the terminology is undefined (Type 1.5 does have an alternative meaning which confuses things), many doctors just consider it Type 1. AS more than half of the people with Type 1 diabetes are diagnoses as an adult, there is little need to distinguish it.

The loss of weight from your friend is a concern but with a HBA1C of 42, he is unlikely to get a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes.
Does he have any other diabetes symptoms such as thirst, frequent urination, feeling tired, blurred vision, ...?
My understanding is that the loss of weight is caused by high blood sugars due to insufficient insulin. If this was the case for your friend, I would expect a higher HBA1C and some of the other symptoms.

I would caveat all this by saying, "we cannot diagnose on this forum" and "I am not a doctor".

I hope he gets to the bottom of his weight loss soon.

Grazer

Thanks for the response. I too think it unlikely that he has LADA, just the weight loss throwing me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have posted this on the general question section, but thought maybe I should pose my query here so apologies for repetition!
I have been type 2 for 20 years and manage my own diabetes well. I have also helped a lot of friends and family with the condition over the years.
However, a discussion with a newly-diagnosed friend recently has left me a little concerned.
He is 73 years old, very slim, and as fit as a flea. He Scuba dives, runs and does all the things that make me feel a little lazy!
He has never eaten sweets, pastries, biscuits etc, but he does eat a lot of meat and veg.
Over the last 6 weeks or so he has lost a lot of weight, about 14 pounds from an already very slim frame. Blood tests showed no problems, except a raised blood sugar level (42 mmols) and that was what diagnosed him as pre-diabetic.
It may be he is just unlucky with the old Beta cell count and is indeed pre type 2, but I wonder if the weight loss could indicate something else - LADA?, type 1.5? I don't really understand those conditions, so views would be welcome.

The loss of weight in your friend could be many things.

Has he altered his diet at all, or is he eating less frequently? Has he had his thyroid checked of late? The less common OVER active thyroid can lead to weightloss, including fast weight loss. It can also be a sign of something sinister, so he does need to discuss this issue with his GP. For me "bloods all look OK" wouldn't cut it. That should only be the starting point.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for comments - I've relayed the info to my friend.
The other thing - it's not always diabetes. Your friend may have a condition totally unrelated to diabetes/blood glucose, which is why no-one on here attempts to diagnose.

If he's concerned, he should seek medical advice.

FrancisW112

Needs a referral to investigate the weight loss, assuming it is due to pre diabetes is not sounding right. would need to exclude more sinister findings i would suggest.