Possibly diabetic

dougied85

Hi,

Probably going to be asking the same as many others before, but here goes.

I'm 33, 20st and think I could have diabetes based on symptoms I am experiencing & reading about. I already have high blood pressure.

Today I woke up feeling OK, then was hit by a very fuzzy/dizzy head. It wasn't until later this morning when I'd eaten breakfast that this seemed to clear up properly. I've also noticed today that when I am hungry, it comes on very suddenly and it's like I'm absolutely starving. Most days at work, I also find that I'm to and from the loo pretty often (maybe 4-5 times during the day).

I've also had quite scary 'episodes' before. For example, I was driving up the motorway a while back and suddenly came over dizzy, shaky, sweaty and had to stop to have a drink. Also had a bite to eat and pretty soon I felt better again.

I wonder if I have diabetes and should get tested by the doctor (although I have 6-monthly blood tests when I'm sure he tests me anyway) - anyone else think the same or am I just crazy?

MaryJ

Hi dougie

Only way to be sure is to get tested at the doctor.

You can buy blood glucose monitors pretty cheaply to give you an idea. 2 hrs after food reading should be <8.5 per the NICe guidelines.

Look over the forum Daisy sends out full info to new members - most useful.

Re the dizzyness etc I believe you're describing a hypo (low blood sugar) but I think they can only happen when you are on medication. Someone more experienced will be along soon i'm sure

Mary x

Margi

You can also get dizzy and other weird feelings with very high blood sugars. The frequent toilet and thirst is one of the primary symptoms, so I would definitely go and get checked out by your doctor. It won't do any harm if you are fine, but could save your life if you find you do have diabetes.

Good luck.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
Hi Dougie,

you stated that you are 20 stone in weight. What is your BMI? I think thats where your problem lies, far too heavy and need to loose some weight. Hell, i think ime too fat at 13.5 and will get to 12 soon so its a life changing fact you are going to have to go through to live to old age. Please look at all the forum posts re diabetes, ime assuming you are a type 2. Its totally up to you now.

Andy

Grazer

Hi! We can't really help - if you're in doubt, get a test at the docs. It's easy, just a blood test. If it looks possible, you'll probably get a follow up test to confirm. Wouldn't bother getting a meter myself- it is unlikely to tell you much other than to raise other doubts.get a proper test done if you're worried. Good luck.