Possibly type one.

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Been to see DSN, had to have more blood tests because there’s a high chance that I’m now type 1.5 in honeymoon phase of being type 1. DSN thinks that because I have had pancreatitis 9 times in 6 months my pancreas is now not producing any insulin hence why my levels are so up and down. She’s given me the Freestyle Libre reader I just have to get the sensor. I’m now having to carb count. She wants me to record levels for a month, record what I’m eating and use the libre. If blood tests come back as I am type 1, she is going to look into changing my insulin and also probably recommending me for insulin pump therapy. In the last week I have had 5 days where levels in evening have been 32. Even after humulin I and novorapid levels have not come down. I’m still having lots of early morning hypos, she has dropped my evening dose of humulin from 16 to 12. I won’t know results of blood tests for at least a month.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pancreatitis doesn't cause type 1. It can cause type 3c. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease cause by your immune system killing off the insulin producing beta cells. The only blood test that can confirm type 1 is antibody testing to see if you have the antibodies associated with auto immune diabetes. The other test would be a cpeptide test to see if you are producing any insulin, but if you aren't it won't tell you why you arent, it could be because you have type 1 and your immune system has killed off your beta cells or it could be because you have type 3c and the pancreatitis has knackered your pancreas. One thing to be aware of if it is type 3c is that a non functioning pancreas doesn't just mean no beta cells, it also means no alpha cells. The job of the alpha cells is to react to a hypo by releasing glucagon to tell you liver to release its glucose stores, so if you don't have alpha cells working a sever hypo could be much more dangerous for you because your body's natural defence mechanism won't work.

Reactions: Struma

shezza48

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood tests have come back, pancreas is not producing anything. Doctor wants blood tests repeating. I’m to see DSN again in a month.