Jennystokes82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

So I’ve been a type 1 for 6 years and have always, always struggled with my morning BG. I’ve managed to get my wake up reading below 10 but I always spike after breakfast-anywhere between 15-24. I have tried many things (at least I think) to conquer this to no avail eg: Levimir at 4am, eating porridge, weektabix, carb free eg eggs, not eating breakfast at all, cutting out coffee. My ratio is 2:1 and I’ve experimented with putting it up but I always spike and take a good couple of hours or so to come back to 10.
Any advice? I had been seeing a consultant about a pump regarding my mornings but obviously it’s all on hold at the minute and wondered if there was any tricks I had been missing.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

So I’ve been a type 1 for 6 years and have always, always struggled with my morning BG. I’ve managed to get my wake up reading below 10 but I always spike after breakfast-anywhere between 15-24. I have tried many things (at least I think) to conquer this to no avail eg: Levimir at 4am, eating porridge, weektabix, carb free eg eggs, not eating breakfast at all, cutting out coffee. My ratio is 2:1 and I’ve experimented with putting it up but I always spike and take a good couple of hours or so to come back to 10.
Any advice? I had been seeing a consultant about a pump regarding my mornings but obviously it’s all on hold at the minute and wondered if there was any tricks I had been missing.

At the risk of being rude, can I ask you to clarify a couple of points.

You're saying that your blood glucose rises to 20+ mmol even when you skip breakfast?

You're saying that your insulin to carb ratio is 2:1 meaning 2 units of insulin for every gram of carbohydrate?

Your basal insulin is Levemir, what's your bolus insulin?

How much basal insulin do you take and when do you take it?

When do you take your bolus insulin with respect to eating times?

Regards
Urb'

Emmett7

Hello I've got a couple of points in regards your issue. I've been type 1 for 40 years - recently my control has improved markedly which I put down to.a number of points. My consultant has changed my medication: levemir to tresiba, prescribed me metformin and I have been provided with a Libre. Moreover my attitude and discipline has improved. I routinely had unexplainable spikes but these have now disappeared. Last Hbac1 was 53.

Jennystokes82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both for getting back to me. Some more info:

I take levimir twice daily 10 units am and 24 pm

my fast acting is novorapid and I take it roughly a few minutes before I sit down and eat. Yes I take 2 units for every 10g breakfast and lunch . My evening dinner my ratio is 1:1

my bG seems to spike to between 15-20 regardless of whether I eat or not but this only happens during the morning and always around 9/10 am. I eat breakfast around 8ish. I’ve brought this up with consultant who is at a loss.

I was prescribed metformin last year to try and remedy this but it had no effect whatsoever so stopped after about 8 months.

I too have the libre and it’s great. My BG is definitely better but it’s the few hours in the morning that I just can’t quite fathom

x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you both for getting back to me. Some more info:

I take levimir twice daily 10 units am and 24 pm

my fast acting is novorapid and I take it roughly a few minutes before I sit down and eat. Yes I take 2 units for every 10g breakfast and lunch . My evening dinner my ratio is 1:1

my bG seems to spike to between 15-20 regardless of whether I eat or not but this only happens during the morning and always around 9/10 am. I eat breakfast around 8ish. I’ve brought this up with consultant who is at a loss.

I was prescribed metformin last year to try and remedy this but it had no effect whatsoever so stopped after about 8 months.

I too have the libre and it’s great. My BG is definitely better but it’s the few hours in the morning that I just can’t quite fathom

x

Ok so 1 more question, are you relying on the Libre scans or are you cross checking with a blood sample?