Post Exercise High Sugar Level

Frankiekk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all! Hoping for some advice, I've Googled this but can't find any info about how to counteract this! Hope you can help!

I've recently taken up kick-boxing (just the work-out, not fighting), and it's really intense and I'm really enjoying it! But after every session, my sugar levels sky rocket! I played football until recently, and I follow the same post-workout routine (food, protein, etc), but my levels are always way higher. Straight after the session, it was 17, 1 hour later, it was 23, another hour later it was 27! Is this normal, and is there a way to stop this??? I really don't want to quit! (I'm type 1, 31 years old, on insulin pump which I take off during session) Hope you can help!!!

haza1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all! Hoping for some advice, I've Googled this but can't find any info about how to counteract this! Hope you can help!

I've recently taken up kick-boxing (just the work-out, not fighting), and it's really intense and I'm really enjoying it! But after every session, my sugar levels sky rocket! I played football until recently, and I follow the same post-workout routine (food, protein, etc), but my levels are always way higher. Straight after the session, it was 17, 1 hour later, it was 23, another hour later it was 27! Is this normal, and is there a way to stop this??? I really don't want to quit! (I'm type 1, 31 years old, on insulin pump which I take off during session) Hope you can help!!!
Hi mate... i did muay thai for 3 years all the time i was t1, it may be that ur kikboxin is more aneaerobic and causes sugar spikes from liver... same way weight lifting causes bs to rise... im thinkin that football would cause ur bs to drop rather than spike as more aerobic... you may have alot of stored liver glycogen that is cause the high spike... may be cortosol related????

Reactions: 3 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A few type 2s also experience this. Me included.
I've put it down to stress. I find most exercises stressful. Very rarely is my body happy to jog around the streets or cycle and pull my nearly 20 stones around with me.
I've resorted back to walking or light swimming.
Even swimming increases my bgs into double figures even on insulin. I have to test before changing and eat a tiny nibble of protein then test as soon as I get out of the pool otherwise after shower and change it is higher again. This swim session is between meals.
If it was later in the day I might have to monitor again to revise.
My kids prefer saturday morning sessions.
I guess the protein keeps liver happy. I haven't tried just fat but some insulin resistant posters believe fat stops spikes too.
I'm happy to stick to fatty protein like cheese or pork scratchings. I still lose weight regardless of which nibble.
I enjoy walking but very little time for it. Once 3yr old starts nursery in september I'm hoping to go on walking trips. Walking with him is very slow and unpredictable with his inquisitive and active bursts. Not ideal.
Other posters have nibbled on protein too to prevent spikes. (Type 2 forums)
I hope this helps. :)

Frankiekk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi mate... i did muay thai for 3 years all the time i was t1, it may be that ur kikboxin is more aneaerobic and causes sugar spikes from liver... same way weight lifting causes bs to rise... im thinkin that football would cause ur bs to drop rather than spike as more aerobic... you may have alot of stored liver glycogen that is cause the high spike... may be cortosol related????

Cheers! Have would you know any way to stop the spikes??? Should I just stop taking carbs altogether???

Thanks
Frankie

Frankiekk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A few type 2s also experience this. Me included.
I've put it down to stress. I find most exercises stressful. Very rarely is my body happy to jog around the streets or cycle and pull my nearly 20 stones around with me.
I've resorted back to walking or light swimming.
Even swimming increases my bgs into double figures even on insulin. I have to test before changing and eat a tiny nibble of protein then test as soon as I get out of the pool otherwise after shower and change it is higher again. This swim session is between meals.
If it was later in the day I might have to monitor again to revise.
My kids prefer saturday morning sessions.
I guess the protein keeps liver happy. I haven't tried just fat but some insulin resistant posters believe fat stops spikes too.
I'm happy to stick to fatty protein like cheese or pork scratchings. I still lose weight regardless of which nibble.
I enjoy walking but very little time for it. Once 3yr old starts nursery in september I'm hoping to go on walking trips. Walking with him is very slow and unpredictable with his inquisitive and active bursts. Not ideal.
Other posters have nibbled on protein too to prevent spikes. (Type 2 forums)
I hope this helps. :)

Thanks! I'm not sure if it'd relate back to stress, I've done training a lot in the past and after tough sessions it might go to maybe 15, but 28 is way to high and it's not coming down to normal levels (took multiple correction bolus and it only came down to 16!). Not sure whats going on.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you having carbs before exercising?

When I used to play Ice Hockey I found that for the training sessions (more relaxed, lower impact) I would need to have around 15g of medium-acting carbs like a PB Sandwich beforehand and occasionally the odd sip of Lucozade during.

For matches however (stressful, more intense) I discovered that I needed quite the opposite! I'd end up having 2 IU of Novorapid beforehand and no carbs during. I would then need some fairly quick acting carbs like Fruit Pastilles x3 followed by a Digestive biscuit bar as soon as the match was over or when I knew I wouldn't need to go on the ice again as I dropped like a stone once I relaxed.

Exercise is a tricky one and you might need some very careful trial and error to get a decent routine going but you'll sort it out I'm sure. No activity should be off limits to you because you're T1.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree with no activity should be off limits. Especially when your fitness levels can endure it.
I can only speak for myself that fitness is something that can come and go with illness. Which we all know diabetes isn't one.
I know some extremely fit 18 stone women. Weightlifters and rugby players. I just know when I do certain sports my bgs are higher.
Higher due to fitness restraints or pushing endurance levels too quickly?
I'm guessing your body is telling you too much too soon. I have ignored that at my peril and ended up immobile and in a huge amount of pain.
Listen to your body.

haza1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If u have a higher than average carb intake ur liver glycogen will be full therefore will release alot of sugars into the blood when any aneaerobic exercise is done try low carb for a few days as in 50g or less u will use a majority of ur stored liver glycogen and hopefully will have less of the spikes... if ur blood sugar is at a rise after kikboxing try 20 min steady walking (aerobic) this type of exercise can decrease ur BS as your muscles dont require insulin for sugars to transport. ( i learnt that when i went to a diebetic sports retreat. Animas it was called)

Frankiekk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you having carbs before exercising?

When I used to play Ice Hockey I found that for the training sessions (more relaxed, lower impact) I would need to have around 15g of medium-acting carbs like a PB Sandwich beforehand and occasionally the odd sip of Lucozade during.

For matches however (stressful, more intense) I discovered that I needed quite the opposite! I'd end up having 2 IU of Novorapid beforehand and no carbs during. I would then need some fairly quick acting carbs like Fruit Pastilles x3 followed by a Digestive biscuit bar as soon as the match was over or when I knew I wouldn't need to go on the ice again as I dropped like a stone once I relaxed.

Exercise is a tricky one and you might need some very careful trial and error to get a decent routine going but you'll sort it out I'm sure. No activity should be off limits to you because you're T1.

Thanks, that could definitely help! I do usually take carbs beforehand, so I'll do the opposite this time! Will be back training tomorrow and I'll give it a shot!

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just do it cautiously and make sure you have a bottle of Lucozade to hand in case it goes a bit awry!

Silly diabetes, why can't it behave?!

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

Frankiekk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If u have a higher than average carb intake ur liver glycogen will be full therefore will release alot of sugars into the blood when any aneaerobic exercise is done try low carb for a few days as in 50g or less u will use a majority of ur stored liver glycogen and hopefully will have less of the spikes... if ur blood sugar is at a rise after kikboxing try 20 min steady walking (aerobic) this type of exercise can decrease ur BS as your muscles dont require insulin for sugars to transport. ( i learnt that when i went to a diebetic sports retreat. Animas it was called)

Thanks again! Will try this too, I probably am having too much carbs, up around 90 a day. No more Digestives with me tea :s !

Reactions: 2 people