Post GD: Blood sugar spikes?

L

Lavender100

Why would my blood sugar spike 2 hours rather than 1 hour after eating? What would cause this? Curry and naan - 5.9 1 hour later and 7.8 2 hours later???

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dont know , I would have thought that Naan would spike fast in everybody... did you eat a lot of fat with it ?
but it is not a dangerously high spike ... it could also be the collective lots of carbs if is was a very high amount of grams of carbs... could take time to get digested if very big meal

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
But is this normal? Does this happen to people without Diabetes?
If you were not diabetic, as soon as your blood glucose started to rise, your pancreas would produce more insulin to combat it and the glucose would be swept up pretty quickly. A T1 diabetic cannot do this because there is little or no ability to produce insulin. If you're a T2 then you either cannot produce enough insulin or you cannot use the insuin that your body is making.

As to the timings, we are all different and it would depend on your retained ability to produce your own insulin.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But is this normal? Does this happen to people without Diabetes?

Yes,it is normal. Yes it does. Blood sugar in people without diabetes will move depending on what they are eating and what they are doing. That movement will, for the vast majority of the time stay within a healthy non diabetic range of about 3.8 to 8.8 ish most of the time under 7. But even in non diabetics there will be times when blood sugar goes outside of that sort of range, because of extremes of food or illness etc.

You say you had a blood sugar spike after food, but you don't say what your blood sugar was before eating. How can you know if it is a spike if you don't know the starting point?

5.9 1 hour after eating is a normal non diabetic blood sugar.

7.8 2 hours after eating is a normal, non diabetic blood sugar.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Aren't you still under follow up after you gestational diabetes? If you have concerns about blood sugar levels you could discuss when you are having the follow up.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The amount of fat and protein in a meal can affect when the spike is as it can slow absorption of the carbs. This is called the pizza effect around here. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
With those numbers from curry and naan you should be singing from the roof tops:)

derekb

CAn anyone help with an answer to my spikes - apologies for posting here as a new user I’m not sure how to start a new thread - as you can see my bedtime sugar is around 12 then it starts to rise every night from 1am peaking at 3am - I’m on an insulin pump and my hourly basal is 0.20u per hour - last meal I have is around 7pm then nothing else - every time I go to bed is about 12 midnight and my sugars are generally 12 and I do give myself an extra unit of insulin based on 12

IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Curry and naan - 5.9 1 hour later and 7.8 2 hours later???

Naan Bread Calories and Nutrition per Serving (1 Serving=1 Naan/160g)
Calories 538
Protein 14.2
Carbohydrate 80.2
Fat 20
Fibre 3

80gms of carbohydrate is more than my daily amount, in fact almost twice my daily amount. That is of course for a naan weighing 160gms.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CAn anyone help with an answer to my spikes - apologies for posting here as a new user I’m not sure how to start a new thread - as you can see my bedtime sugar is around 12 then it starts to rise every night from 1am peaking at 3am - I’m on an insulin pump and my hourly basal is 0.20u per hour - last meal I have is around 7pm then nothing else - every time I go to bed is about 12 midnight and my sugars are generally 12 and I do give myself an extra unit of insulin based on 12

View attachment 31025View attachment 31026View attachment 31027

Hi @derekb

This thread is over 2 years old, so you may not get any replies. You would be better starting your own thread. Look in the top navigation bar for "forums" and pick which one you want to post it. Once you have done that you will see a green bar on the right hand side that says "post new thread". Click on that and off you go.

It would also help if you would complete your profile settings to say which type of diabetes you have, and list the medication you are taking.