Post ICU PTSD

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Just wanted to bring this little known disorder up as it can affect diabetics who are critically ill and admitted to the Intensive Care Unit in hospital for treatment.

In 2012 I spent a month in ICU (induced coma and ventilated) and my total hospital stay was 9 weeks. The mental symptoms on waking from my coma were horrendous, frightening hallucinations, paranoia and total disorientation.

I kept having flashbacks, felt confused and upset and couldn't put my finger on what was happening to me but I did mention this to my GP and Consultant who said it was PTSD and some therapy would be a good idea.

Glad to say it resolved within 2 years but it was not a pleasant thing to suffer from never mind the recovery from my critical illness and just compounded my poor quality of life then.

I know many diabetics are admitted into ICU when seriously ill with DKA, HHNS etc and hope if any of them start to suffer symptoms of PTSD after discharge then mention this to your care team or GP and get help.

:)

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I was in hospital last year for a partial right nephrectomy to say goodbye to a tumour. Post op self-administerd intravenous anaesthesia (fentanyl) induced a paranoid mania that had me pulling out my lines and trying to escape the hospital!! I was OK when the fentanyl was stopped but had an issue with the 2 days when I did not know what was real or not.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was in hospital last year for a partial right nephrectomy to say goodbye to a tumour. Post op self-administerd intravenous anaesthesia (fentanyl) induced a paranoid mania that had me pulling out my lines and trying to escape the hospital!! I was OK when the fentanyl was stopped but had an issue with the 2 days when I did not know what was real or not.
I was on Propofol which is a general anaesthetic continuously for a month to maintain induced coma as I was intubated and being mechanically ventilated. Never mind all the painkillers and other drugs. I agree you can suffer from serious mental problems after having these drugs and the setting in ICU is very stressful. When awake the thought you are going to die is prominent when you are lucid. :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just thought I would update people that this disorder now has a name: PICS (Post Intensive Care Syndrome). Everyone discharged from ICU, especially long term ICU patients are now being screened by GPs/ICU Consultants and Nurses.

The quick diagnosis and support of PICS is needed and it can be treated with many interventions.

Hope nobody on here needs this but good health to everybody.

Edward :)

Reactions: 3 people