Post Pandrial Peak

ExiledJack

Hi Guys,

Following a meal, should your blood glucose be at its highest after 2 hours or should it be back to its normal level after 2 hours?

My blood glucose is 4.5-5.5 before meals, around 6-7 at the two hour mark then usually goes back to 4.5-5 after about 2.5hrs. Is this normal?

Just wondering if this is normal for a diabetic or what a non-diabetic could expect. Thanks.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Guys,

Following a meal, should your blood glucose be at its highest after 2 hours or should it be back to its normal level after 2 hours?

My blood glucose is 4.5-5.5 before meals, around 6-7 at the two hour mark then usually goes back to 4.5-5 after about 90 mins. Is this normal?

Just wondering if this is normal for a diabetic or what a non-diabetic could expect. Thanks.

1.5 to 2 hrs is normally the highest level, but it also depends on the food you have eaten. Something with a lot of fats in it (like a nice cheesy pizza) will normally break down more slowly than say breakfast cereal where you 'could' see a spike well within an hour.

Take a look at this page.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it is different for a Type 1 but I think the ideal for a Type 2 is to get back to the pre-prandial level after 2 hours from the start of eating. This is the usual time to measure to find the affect of a particular meal. A peak will occur at some intervening time dependent on the meal. A rise of less than 2 mmol/L after 2 hours is usually considered a reasonable result.

Last edited: