Post pregnancy insulin resistance

mbozin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice / reassurance / experiences..

I'm currently 4.5 months postnatal with my second baby. All went well etc etc.. I have had type 1 for just over 26 years, never really controlled my sugars as well as I have for my two pregnancies and since getting the Libra 2 for this pregnancy I have carried on keeping tight control.
I became quite resistant to insulin at the "normal time" during pregnancy and then droped to almost 50% less for my levermir and nova rapid ratio's straight after having baby. (As expected)
Since then my control has stayed pretty good but my background which I take am and pm is gradually creeping up again.. and for the past week I have been getting crazy highs during the night, it's almost like I haven't injected .. then I'm correcting and its hardly having any effect..... Eventually it does..
Im guessing due to how long I have had type 1 I'm naturally going to be a little resistant.. and my sites aren't great so that will make some differences too.. (I'm on a year long waiting list for a pump..)
But I can't really work out what's going on? Do you think it could just be hormones going back to normal? ... Or that I might have been a little less active over Xmas? ..
I have upped my background for now but I'm reluctant to keep adding more units..

Any insights would be really welcome!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Well? I use Lantus & what you are saying about it almost like you haven't injected.
That can happen to me. However, I'm a bloke. & T1 for per 46 years.
Then I spend the following day banging in corrections. (Novrapid.) which works well for me.

What I've found consistently is my basal can go off. Loose potency...? With the odd batch?
Changing the vial/cartridge & the following day I'm back to normal.

This may not be the case with your basal..
What I would say is if you have been upping your dosage on your basal to help you compensate & change the cartridge.?
Revert back to your advised previous dose. With me I was getting mad basal lows till Libre use confirmed what was happening using a meter..

Congratulations on the kid.

Reactions: EllieM

mbozin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Jaylee

Yeah I thought the same about the cartridges! Have tested that and it hasn't seamed to help me. (It has in the past)

I think I might be running out of background after about 6 hours.. as I shifted the time I give it and it shifted the time I started to rise.

Maybe it's also me slowly reverting back to what I was giving myself pre pregnancy.. which was more background than I'm currently on..

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, my last pregnancy was 20 years ago but I do remember my background insulin needs returning to pre-pregnancy within weeks rather than months. Maybe be best to call your diabetes team for clarification as it may well be that either a.m. and p.m. doses need upping or one or the other. I've found that my basal rates change if I put on or loose weight, just incase you're carrying a wee bit of post baby weight.
Best of luck.