Post running lows

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I started incorporating running into my exercise regime in April to step up my fitness and help maintain steady blood glucose levels.
I started off with 5kms - it was a struggle at first but I managed to keep steady levels through trial and error.
I recently increased the distance and did my 2nd 10km last week.
The week before I reduced my basal rate by 30% 1.5 hours before, started higher than I would have liked, managed to do the distance then hypo’d.
This week I reduced my basal rate by 50% an hour before. Before the run I was trending down from 8mmol so turned my pump off completely.
I still hypo’d pretty badly after this and couldn’t get my levels up for a good 30 minutes even with no insulin on board or being administrated.
It didn’t help as time of the month makes me run lower anyway so it might be better next time but a few things I might try differently:
- reduced basal earlier
- eat slow releasing carbs 1.5hours (small banana has been recommended)
Any other tips?View attachment 26733

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

How long before your run do you reduce your basal and what duration?
For me, my basal reduction takes 60 to 90 to come into affect.
And then, I am at risk of hypo for the next 24 because I have used up my glucose reserve (which drips out during the day) in my liver.

So, you may want to looking at setting your temp basal earlier and keeping it on for longer.

Reactions: mytype1.life

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How long before your run do you reduce your basal and what duration?
For me, my basal reduction takes 60 to 90 to come into affect.
And then, I am at risk of hypo for the next 24 because I have used up my glucose reserve (which drips out during the day) in my liver.

So, you may want to looking at setting your temp basal earlier and keeping it on for longer.

Thank you.

Last week I did 90 mins before and this week 60 mins (but then completely off) normally before, during and an hour or 2 after depending on what my levels are doing.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mytype1.life . Congratulations on upping the distance with your runs.
I'm not on a pump so can't really help with what options you have with your pump.
I have in the past and occasionally still do some long duration training mainly on rowing machines ( who'd have guessed:)).
As for carbing up for such a workout I find something a bit fatty helps. A banana is good but is for me easily digested and is long gone before I finish my workout. A banana with peanut butter is a different proposition, the pnb helps slow down the digestion giving me a steady supply of carbs over a longer period of time. Another favourite of mine is malt loaf. Maybe you could carry a small bit of malt loaf on you and eat it mid run. It doesn't need to be a slab just 20g or so.
Good luck.
London Marathon on the horizon?????????

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @mytype1.life . Congratulations on upping the distance with your runs.
I'm not on a pump so can't really help with what options you have with your pump.
I have in the past and occasionally still do some long duration training mainly on rowing machines ( who'd have guessed:)).
As for carbing up for such a workout I find something a bit fatty helps. A banana is good but is for me easily digested and is long gone before I finish my workout. A banana with peanut butter is a different proposition, the pnb helps slow down the digestion giving me a steady supply of carbs over a longer period of time. Another favourite of mine is malt loaf. Maybe you could carry a small bit of malt loaf on you and eat it mid run. It doesn't need to be a slab just 20g or so.
Good luck.
London Marathon on the horizon?????????

Hello!
Ooh great advice. I’ve seen those little Soreen malt loaf packs. I wouldn’t normally eat them (or bananas) as I used to spike but for workout fuel I can’t wait to try it out!
Good point re peanut butter. Last week I had a fulfill peanut and caramel protein bar before but it only worked as as quick fix as made me rise pre-run and I still hypo’d after.
Hahaa! I doubt it but never say never! To be honest a few months ago I would have said I couldn’t run more than 10 mins so I’m proud of actually being able to run for more than an hour. I still need to get to a position of enjoying it because the first 8k was a killer! I guess I just need to keep doing it.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@therower, @helensaramay me again. I’ve been roped into a fun run on Sunday. I say ‘Fun’ - it’s 8.5 miles, I have never run this far in my life.
It starts at 11am so I’m praying for good waking levels, a banana about 9.30am and will reduce my basal rate. I will carry glucose tabs and malt loaf if I can find some tomorrow.
Any other tips? I’m guessing I’m also going to have to carry my Omnipod to turn off my pump if I get desperate.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mytype1.life . This sounds like an interesting weekend :).
First I just need to say that I'm not a pumper and as such don't fully understand the complexity of how you guys use them.
Tips????? Crikey putting me on the spot here.
Don't start out to fast, nice and steady.
Try to take on liquids before you become thirsty. I'm a firm believer that hydration is essential, diabetic or not and if you drink when you're thirsty then it's probably to late.
The banana? Have you ever watched tennis? The players will eat a half of a banana between sets. Bananas work fairly quickly. Not sure that you will see the benefits of a banana so far in advance of the run. I could be wrong. I would be looking to carb up with a banana maybe 10 mins before the run. Again I'm no runner so it's only my guess really.
Complex carbs prior to the run? Breakfast of some complex carbs, brown bread toast, porridge oats would be my go to for an endurance event. Shame you've not had chance to experiment prior to the event.
During the race? Definitely fast acting carbs. As a bit of a tight a**e my drink for something like this would be water, orange cordial and 3 teaspoons of glucose powder ( Holland and Barrett). Also something like glucotabs and if possible a piece of malt loaf..
Most importantly. It's only a bit of fun. Better to stop for awhile and still finish as opposed to hypoing and not finishing.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mytype1.life . This sounds like an interesting weekend :).
First I just need to say that I'm not a pumper and as such don't fully understand the complexity of how you guys use them.
Tips????? Crikey putting me on the spot here.
Don't start out to fast, nice and steady.
Try to take on liquids before you become thirsty. I'm a firm believer that hydration is essential, diabetic or not and if you drink when you're thirsty then it's probably to late.
The banana? Have you ever watched tennis? The players will eat a half of a banana between sets. Bananas work fairly quickly. Not sure that you will see the benefits of a banana so far in advance of the run. I could be wrong. I would be looking to carb up with a banana maybe 10 mins before the run. Again I'm no runner so it's only my guess really.
Complex carbs prior to the run? Breakfast of some complex carbs, brown bread toast, porridge oats would be my go to for an endurance event. Shame you've not had chance to experiment prior to the event.
During the race? Definitely fast acting carbs. As a bit of a tight a**e my drink for something like this would be water, orange cordial and 3 teaspoons of glucose powder ( Holland and Barrett). Also something like glucotabs and if possible a piece of malt loaf..
Most importantly. It's only a bit of fun. Better to stop for awhile and still finish as opposed to hypoing and not finishing.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

Thank you!
I’ve been told the course is quite horrid with some hills so will definitely be all about completing not pace!
It’s meant to be really warm aswell so I am worried about hydration but will do my best to take on water where possibly, hopefully without getting stitch!
The banana is an odd one, I’ve had mixed advice about timings and like you said it’s unfortunate I’ve not been able to test it out. Although worst that can happen is I trend high to start but would expect I’d drop, hopefully gradually.
Thanks for the tips!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mytype1.life . Fingers crossed for you having a great run tomorrow.:):):)
Stitch!!!!!! Deep breath in, hold for a count of 2, then a big exhale. Repeat. Usually works for me, or at least it did the last time I had it:):):):)

Reactions: mytype1.life