Post Your Recipes Here!

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Re: Recipes.

Thank you Fenster, Gordon! pshaw! During his time with me his Anglo Saxon vocabulary increased ten-fold, I taught him all he knows about the mellifluous flow of the Anglo Saxon language including that valuable tool tmesis, until eventually he developed into the cunning linguist we all know and love.

All the recipes serve eight apart from the braised red cabbage, which serves six. So, don't hold me to this, but, minimum carbs/portion are the following:

Spiced Aubergine Salad : ~ 6g/portion
Braised red cabbage : ~ 24g/portion
Beef in Guinness : ~ 7g/portion
Ricotta cakes with red fruit : ~ 12g/portion

Not only is the cous-cous high carb (at around 77g/100g dry and around 46g/100g hydrated) it is also high GI, both really good reasons to recommend small portions.

The braised red cabbage may be a bit high for some people, I suppose the apple could be swapped out with something else (currants, for instance, have fewer carbs than apples) or removed altogether which should reduce the carb content somewhat.

I allowed our guests to pour their own sauce for the ricotta cakes, I only had about a teaspoon myself, enough tang for my taste buds.

We ate the meal over three hours or so, plenty of chat and chit, and a couple of glasses of wine to ease things along. Tempted as I was, I did not entertain the guests with my song and dance routine before dessert and we did play on the Wii after dinner was done.

Regards, Tubs.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious

heres something i just tried and loved its a sauce you can put over anything chicken fish etc
two tins of chopped tomatoes
mushrooms
red peppers
onions
garlic
a bit of white wine
and what ever herbs you fancy throwing in
enjoy

Horwendil

Here's a soup that I've been making once a week for the last couple of months.

Roughly chop a medium onion, sweat it off in butter until it goes translucent.
Add 1 teaspoon each of cumin and coriander powder and a good grinding of black
pepper. Add a chopped up medium cauliflower, and enough boiling water to
almost cover, crumble a chicken or vegetable stock cube and bring to the boil.
Cook until the cauliflower is Al-dente. Use a hand blender or put in blender and whizz
through. Add another knob of butter and as much double cream as you want.
Serve as is, or grate some parmesan over the top. A drizzle of truffle oil also
goes well.
Any left over can be used as a sauce on another meal. :)

tubolard

Dislikes
Cranberry Cinnamon Muffins

This makes about 12 low GI muffins, I haven't managed to get them to rise to that classic muffin shape so they're more like cup cakes when I make them, however they make an ideal snack and have helped get things moving when needed :lol:

80g bran flakes
1/4 tsp salt
150g wholemeal flour
5tbsp Splenda (or equivalent of 80g sugar)
1 1/4tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
240ml skimmed milk
120ml boiling water
1 egg
60ml rapeseed oil
150g dried cranberries
1tsp cinnamon

Combine bran flakes, hot water, milk and cranberries and set to one side

In another bowl mix together the egg, oil, and sweetener and stir into the bran mixture

In another bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Pour the bran mixture over the flour and stir until just combined.

Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups and bake at 190c/Gas Mark 5 for about 20 minutes.

Regards, Tubs.

Alternatively, replace the cranberries with a grated eating apple and add a little more cinnamon.

tubolard

Dislikes

Sam, that's great news.

Regards, Tubs.

yipster29

Hey Fergus

Lots of comments on forum about your bread but as a newbie I 've tried to find your recipe and only found the comment in this thread from last yr that you've had to remove it.... can I find it anywhere else yet?? I'm doing really well on a no-bread life but would love to give yours a try!!
Cath

samcogle

Hi Cath, I think if you PM Fergus he will give you the recipe...just in case he doesn't see this thread :)

samcogle

I made this up today as was in a cooking mood and raided the larder so thought I would share it as it was rather nice:
1 red onion
tin of tomatoes
2 sticks of celery
1 red pepper
mixed herbs
tin of tuna
4 spagetti sticks [optional]
2 tsps boulion powder

Fry the onion in a little olive oil, add the celery and pepper until soft. Chuck in the tuna, herbs, bouillon powder and tomatoes, add the spagetti and leave to simmer for about 20 mins.
Very filling and enough left for later too :)

Lisalooby

Hi to everyone.

I'm a mum of an 8 year old girl just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Although it is very early on with regards to insulin etc (at mo she has 2 doses per day but apparantly that will change in next couple of weeks and she will go onto a new regime carb counting). I don't fully understand at moment. I think I'm just shocked as no-one in our families have diabetes. I wonder if you can point me in the right direction for tubolard's muffin recipe. I have tried baking using sweeteners but they don't seem to rise. I just thought I would have a go at these for her but can't seem to find the recipe.

Thanks for any help

Lisa x :(

tubolard

Dislikes

Lisa,

Welcome to the forum :)

We're a friendly bunch and more than willing to stick our noses in when invited. We have a number of mums on the forum who will be willing to help when asked.

Pointer to my muffin recipe is here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856&start=135#p66012.

Tubs.

peppiB

Just reading some questions about curry. I devised a basic curry sauce I use

Soften a sliced onion (liberally sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper)in butter (with a touch of oil to prevent burning) add a crushed garlic clove and 1 teaspoon each of turmeric, ground ginger, corriander, cumin and chilli powder. Let the spices infuse for a few minutes then throw in 3 large chopped tomatoes to soften. Add half a pint of water, bring to boil and stir in quarter of a large tub of double cream. Allow it to reduce (about 10 mins) and then throw in either chopped chicken, prawns or veg (if its the chicken, make sure you give it time to cook through) I use finely shredded cauliflower instead of rice - and it doesn't push my sugars through the roof.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Lower Fat Hollandaise
(not quite the same as traditional but a fair substitute for those who want to reduce saturated fats)
For each person:
1 egg yolk
80ml of thick 0% plain yoghurt(Greek type)
1teaspoon lemon juice.

Put ingredients in bowl or top half of double saucepan, place over boiling water. Whisk gently until thickened. (ie stand there stiring for what seems like forever, it becomes thinner before it thickens)
add salt, herbs garlic or whatever you like to flavour.
It is OK to make in advance and reheat (over boiling water again)

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious

chocolate cake heres something you may have tried dont know its something i tried simple to make and i enjoyed
4 eggs
2 large tablespoons cocoa powder
3/4 cup of wholmel flour
half a cup of sweetner
1 lindt 90% cocoa bar

put eggs in blender mix add cocoa powder and sweetner mix then add flour mix together really well
grease a baking sheet place in cake tin place mixture in tin cook for about twenty mins
then take lindt chocolate bar melt down pour over cake let set then enjoy
you can make this cake sweeter etc by adding more sweetner or cocoa powder or even get it to rise by adding more flour just found this diddnt effect bs much at all with theese ingredients