Postcodes lottery and T1. BBC news article

D

Deleted Account

These articles seem to miss the postcode lottery around how the recommendations are being interpreted.
My CCG would answer "yes" to the question of whether Libre are being prescribed. However, the number of people getting them is incredibly small and they have to justify continuation after 6 month. If the criteria they satisfied was two DKA hospitalisation and they don't get hospitalised in the 6 months with the Libre it may be taken away from them because they don't satisfy that criteria any more.

Reactions: Muneeb

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These articles seem to miss the postcode lottery around how the recommendations are being interpreted.
My CCG would answer "yes" to the question of whether Libre are being prescribed. However, the number of people getting them is incredibly small and they have to justify continuation after 6 month. If the criteria they satisfied was two DKA hospitalisation and they don't get hospitalised in the 6 months with the Libre it may be taken away from them because they don't satisfy that criteria any more.
Exactly, and the requirements are stupid as most people won't fit into them, ie test more than 8 times a day and have 2 sever hypos requiring medical attention. If that was the case most people wouldn't have a driving license! Its a lose-lose for most of us.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @helensaramay, it's a lottery within CCGs too. I'm not under a DSN, but spoke to one who said they've run out of the limited spaces for one. Luckily I've got a pragmatic GP who prescribed one to me, although he said me might get in trouble! Plus, my pharmacy are having trouble getting it, so might not work out in the end.

One day we'll all look back and wonder how people got by on finger tests, but we'll get there in the end I reckon.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only hospital that has a sensible prescribing criteria is Edinburgh,