Postprandial Blood Glucose Levels

S

Sani Thomas

Hi guys,
Does anyone know what should be the levels of post practical blood glucose?
Today my 2 hours postprandial test was 14.7 (preprandial 8.3). But later my preprandial level was 7.6. Is this normal? I have observed the same on other occasions. It seems as if I spike for longer after a meal before coming down again. Where can I find information about it?
I could not find recommendations about the need to test 2 hrs after meals and my DN says that they are not monitoring postprandial levels.
Thanks

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,
Today my 2 hours postprandial test was 14.7 (preprandial 8.3). But later my preprandial level was 7.6. Is this normal? I have observed the same on other occasions. It seems as if I spike for longer after a meal before coming down again. Where can I find information about it?
I could not find recommendations about the need to test 2 hrs after meals and my DN says that they are not monitoring postprandial levels.
Thanks

Yes you may digest a bit slower... I tend to peak at 3 hour mark most of the time. Other times I can hypo at the 1 hour mark after eating. Diabetes is definitely unpredictable. Although if you're regularly getting higher readings you may need to adjust either your carb intake or insulin dosages.

S

Sani Thomas

Yes you may digest a bit slower... I tend to peak at 3 hour mark most of the time. Other times I can hypo at the 1 hour mark after eating. Diabetes is definitely unpredictable. Although if you're regularly getting higher readings you may need to adjust either your carb intake or insulin dosages.
Thank you Mep, I had lost hope that someone would answer me. Tbh I felt a bit ignored. I can't quite fix when I peak after meals, but most of the time before meals my BG is within acceptable limits. So far it is only the lunch values that tend to be high. Still, assuming that insulin has been replaced by the injections and mimics a normal pancreatic function, wouldn't it mean that having high levels 2-3 hrs after meals is just an individual trait. Or are those who say that at that time the levels should be lowered right?
I would like to minimise any of the risks associated with diabetes and this issue is rather concerning for me.
Best regards

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Mep, I had lost hope that someone would answer me. Tbh I felt a bit ignored. I can't quite fix when I peak after meals, but most of the time before meals my BG is within acceptable limits. So far it is only the lunch values that tend to be high. Still, assuming that insulin has been replaced by the injections and mimics a normal pancreatic function, wouldn't it mean that having high levels 2-3 hrs after meals is just an individual trait. Or are those who say that at that time the levels should be lowered right?
I would like to minimise any of the risks associated with diabetes and this issue is rather concerning for me.
Best regards

What I do if I'm having problems is test 1 hour after eating, 2 hours, then 3 hours, sometimes even 4 hours. If you're only getting this with your lunch... is your carb intake higher than your other meals? Or maybe you need more bolus insulin with your meal. I'm guessing if your dinner levels are ok then it would unlikely be your basal insulin... then again I'm not sure when you take that. I take my dose at 8.30 pm every night and I can say that the lantus I take seems to wear off after the 18 hour mark.... even though it's supposed to last 24 hours. What I notice is higher sugars in the evening so I need to bolus more with my food. I hope you can find out what the cause is and get your level back down to more suitable range. I wish you the best. :)

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I peak always at 2 hours and no change in my BG at one hour. I guess like @Mep said i digest slow or its may be due to low carb and protein diet? I am still interested though to know anyone with an a1c close to 5% what peaks they see after meals? I normally stay between 5 and 7 (day/night). What should i expect my a1c levels? Is it okay to have peak of 7 mmol/l on 12-15 carbs meal that goes down to 6 mmol/l in an hour after peak? any interesting experiments?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html05E2B910-505C-4846-A6FC-0A61C8191EB3.jpeg
It has been documented that damage begins to occur around the 7.8 mark so I use this as my absolute maximum. Many of us in here also try to maintain a rise of no more than 2mmol between pre and post prandial and we tend to use 2hrs more than 90mins.
The way we achieve this is by eating low carb. Have a read of this https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html the other link in my signature below and dietsoctor.com

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,
Thanks
Your nurse may not monitor it but that’s the way you know that what you are eating is suitable or not. The results of a suitable or not diet shows up in hb1ac and also later preprandial and even the next days fasting levels.