Potatoes

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been looking into potatoes.
With a husband who is rarely able to predict his coming-home time in the evenings, I find myself making easy-care meals in my slow cooker (we haven't had this heat wave at all this year up here, in fact its been a wet summer sometimes verging on cold). These are not as satisfactory as they used to be because I've cut out the potatoes.
Looking on the internet it seems that a raw, uncooked potato contains 17gms carbs per 100gms. I weighed a medium sized potato and find it weighs about 300gms ..... so - half a medium potato weighing 150gms would be about 26 gms carb, if I've done my sums right. This can easily be incorporated into a 60gm per day carbohydrate plan.
Celeriac or cauliflower mash, although acceptable, is just not the same.
Or am I missing something here?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with potatoes is that when cooked they change. Well cooked fluffy spuds are quite bad, and by this I mean jacket spuds, mashed spuds, and stewed spuds. The best type to eat, if any, are new potatoes boiled/steamed. Funnily enough I can also cope with 2 small roasted ones, even though they are soft and fluffy inside. Probably because of the fat content. (roasted in duck/goose fat or beef dripping) and also a few chips (6 to 10 maximum) again probably because of the fat content. (we cook our own from scratch).

All you can do is try them in your slow cooker and test to see what happens.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, testing and more testing is our best way forward. I found the article from diabetes.org very enlightening too, and also the suggestion about spuds cooked in fat. There's something comfortingly 'normal' about potatoes that makes them seem desirable, and they kind of 'complete' a meal in my eyes (daft, but I have really missed them). I think my answer might be to always weigh them and always buy smaller potatoes - not those nice big baking ones . And to keep on counting those carbs!