1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PPI

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noblehead, Jul 26, 2012.

1. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Despite being ex-directory, registering with the TPS and my telephone provider blocking withheld numbers we are still getting on average 3 phone calls a day from cold callers selling PPI claims........most are from South Asia I am told, without changing my number has anyone got any suggestions?

2. xyzzy

xyzzy Other · Well-Known Member

You could try something like this. One of my children got one and reckoned it stopped most calls within a few weeks.

www.t r u e c a l l.co.uk/

3. Defren

Defren · Well-Known Member

I get them quite often as well. All I do is put the phone down and carry on with my day, leaving them to waffle on to themselves. It's their phone bill not mine, so I don't care!

4. Paul1976

Paul1976 · Well-Known Member

I just ignore any number beginning with 0800,0845,witheld or international when they show up on caller display,TPS only seemed to stop a few calls in my case even though it's illegal for these Telesales creeps to ring a TPS registered number. :evil
    Xyzzys suggestion sounds worth looking in to.

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Thanks everyone for the advice. The Truecall does look interesting although a little pricey at £100, my phone provider say they will now change my number should I choose but would need crime number from the Police, apparently cold-callers fall into nuisance/malicious phone calls and should be reported to the Police, I'll be very wary from here-on to which companies I give my details to!

6. Craigybus

Craigybus · Active Member

They get around it by simply using automated dialler devices which are illegal, but as they often call from overseas contries, they do not give 2 tosses.
    Give them a load of garbage and pretend to be a loony.

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Thanks Craig, the latest development is the Police don't want to know as the calls aren't classed as abusive so the cold-callers are not breaking the law under the Home Office Regs, they said my phone provider shouldn't have said this and the Police can't give a crime number unless they investigate the calls....which they won't do unless the calls did become abusive :crazy:

Going to change my number anyways!

8. didie

didie · Well-Known Member

I hate these callers. We rarely get them because we are ex-directory and have been for over 25 years now. When we do get them, they are generated by a random dialler. I had to call a patient from work a few weeks ago to confirm an appointment and when she answered she was very hesitant and when she realised it was me, was very apologetic and said that she gets marketing and PPI calls all day and she has reached the point where she cries when she gets a call. This poor lady was over 80 years old. I did what I did with my mum who is a similar age and signed her up for the telephone preference service, warning her that it might not work. Last week she came into work with a huge box of chocolates for me because the calls had stopped. I didn't have the heart the tell her that I don't eat chocolate, but the other staff at the clinic really enjoyed them. I also told her that if anyone else she knew wanted signing up, I'd be happy to do it for them. Lots of elderly people don't have access to the internet to sign up for things like the telephone preference service.

9. shop

shop · Well-Known Member

:thumbup: :D

10. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A good one for unwanted callers is the Eric Morecombe one liner when he answers the phone and says, "There's no phone here!"

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook