pre-diabetes or diabetic?

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
It is unlikely you will be given Metformin, but if it is suggested you can always ask for 3 months on diet only. This seems to be the way GPs are going at the moment. My HbA1c was 53 and Metformin was never mentioned. It isn't a miracle drug and helps only to a limited extent. It is mainly an appetite suppressant.

Sadly, we have to be very careful with fruit, but berries are good (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) in moderation - not a whole punnet at a time! If you get a meter you will see which ones are OK for you. They are best eaten with either cream or full fat yogurt as part of a meal rather than in-between snacks.
I have been eating fruit - an apple a day and blueberries with half a banana and fat free yoghurt for my breakfast. There is my first mistake. I am just feeling rubbish, sweaty, clammy and so tired. All my other bloods came back normal because I thought I may have an under active thyroid. It is obviously something I am doing but thanks to all you lovely people out there giving advice, maybe now, I can look in the right direction. Thank you xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a few berries and nuts with a plain full fat yogurt for breakfast. I sometimes have this as a dessert later in the day with 3 or 4 strawberries chopped up, or 6 or 8 raspberries. I actually prefer them with double cream. A small apple may well be OK for you.
Eggs are a better choice for breakfast - cooked any which way, maybe with bacon, mushrooms, a tomato or something. Also cold meats and cheese.

sparrow61

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Politics
Try a few berries and nuts with a plain full fat yogurt for breakfast. I sometimes have this as a dessert later in the day with 3 or 4 strawberries chopped up, or 6 or 8 raspberries. I actually prefer them with double cream. A small apple may well be OK for you.
Eggs are a better choice for breakfast - cooked any which way, maybe with bacon, mushrooms, a tomato or something. Also cold meats and cheese.
Thank you, I will give it a go. Always avoided full fat stuff after having gallstones. Probably mistake no 2. I love eggs and bacon but also avoid that because I thought it would make me pile on the pounds. Amazing. Much appreciated. Thank you xxx