Pre-diabetes or not?

emgoo

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All. Looking for some advice as I'm a little confused by the conflicting information I'm receiving. Yesterday I went into Lloyd's pharmacy for a dinner prick test. I had fasted in the most part but had had a decaffeinated coffee with one sugar approx 90mins before the test. My reading was 5.5mmol which the pharmacist said was fine however what I've read on the internet suggests I'm actually not classed as pre-diabetic. I'm really confused. I'm not overweight I'm fairly active (walk about 8 miles a day) but I do like sugar and carbs unfortunately. Please can someone give me some advice as to what I should do next. Will the coffee have made much difference? Thanks in advance Emma x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Emma
Why do you think you may be pre-diabetic?
A single finger prick test doesn't really tell you anything apart from what your blood sugar level is at that particular instant so isn't really used in isolation for diagnosis (and yours was pretty "normal" anyway).
To see wha your average blood sugar levels have been over the past 2 or 3 months then you should ask your doctor for an HbA1c test which will show if you are having higher blood sugar levels which may be a symptom of pre-diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sugar 90 mins before the test invalidated the fasting test if that's what it was meant to be. Nevertheless you got a good and low result.
Since you had sugar that reclassifies your test into a Random Test and for one of those you only attract interest if your result is over 11.

emgoo

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your quick response. Just got home and started googling (stupid thing to do) and then misunderstood the info on there whereby 5.5mmol is the cut off point. Thanks again x