Pre diabetes

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi everyone, I'm new to this I have CKD and have 3 monthly blood tests , I was feeling tired thought maybe low in vitamins, the tested my glucose, I never heard anything until about 3 weeks later when my dr surgery sent a letter asking me if I would be interested in joining healthier you NHS diabetes program, I called and signed up just waiting for appointment, im not overweight, I have already put myself on a renal diet to help , now I'm worried that this might be a problem with the pre diabetes, ant advice would be great . Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With a renal diet, low protein is recommended and with a diabetes friendly diet low carbohydrates are recommended. There only seems to be fruit and veg left and only then if it is low in potassium.

The good news is that you don't have to go no protein so a reduced amount could be OK. For diabetes the same really applies to carbs where you don't have to go no carbohydrates and anyway we don't know the extent of your diabetes yet so low GI carbs or fewer total carbs are certainly an option.

I am sorry to hear of your problems. Perhaps you could come back here when you know the diabetes involvement.

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for your reply , I went vegetarian a few years ago , so I get lots of vegetables, yes your right about the renal diet , so yes I will go for lower carbs , thanks for that , hopefully when I get appointment I will know a bit more and post on here .

Growyourflow

hi everyone, I'm new to this I have CKD and have 3 monthly blood tests , I was feeling tired thought maybe low in vitamins, the tested my glucose, I never heard anything until about 3 weeks later when my dr surgery sent a letter asking me if I would be interested in joining healthier you NHS diabetes program, I called and signed up just waiting for appointment, im not overweight, I have already put myself on a renal diet to help , now I'm worried that this might be a problem with the pre diabetes, ant advice would be great . Thanks

I would say keep a positive attitude and prepare to slightly adjust your diet. I take vitamin Dcsupplements and work out my cardiovascular system with rowing and tennis...Pay particular attention to your microcirculation.
gf

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for your reply , because of my kidneys as both are damaged through ecoli in my bladder I won't take vitamins, yes I do tr to have a positive attitude t is hard as I'm confused about what to eat , don't want to stop my renal diet don't really have hospital giving me help with that as I was told a few years ago by locom dr that I could improve my kidney function by going on this , so I did , lucky we have internet now so was able to get information, as my first post said I was not aware I had fasting glucose 5.6 until I received letter about the Diabetes prevention program, mine is in our family , my mum in her 60 was type 2 as years ago they never had pre diabetic, my eldest sister got hers in 60 , and now me , every3 months I have my kidneys checked , and I always ask about my GFR and creatine my cholesterol is ok . Thanks again , can I ask if I can have a 1 flat spoon of sugar in my tea ????

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sorry wanted to ask in uk do pre diabetics test the blood ??? Tried looking it up , can't find nothing . As my older sister is same as me she did get one but was told she should not use it ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @caroll54

A fasting blood test of 5.6 is not regarded as pre-diabetes in the UK. It is regarded as normal. The range is 6.1 to 6.9mmol/l.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes-tests.html
Did you have any other tests for diabetes? An HbA1c for instance?

In the UK most non-insulin users will not be prescribed free meters and strips. We have to buy our own. They are extremely useful tools for controlling blood sugar levels as we can test before and after meals to see what that food has done to our levels and be able to adjust the food accordingly.

You should do your utmost to cut out all sugar, including in your tea.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Aw , well it took the dr 3 months to send the information, so why his put me as pre diabetes I have no idea , and I signed up for the programme, so I don't need to watch what I eat , as I was worried , thanks for that , no it was routine 3 month blood test , I was tired they tested my glucose, then 3 months later a letter from dr informing me about the diabetes prevention program, that gave me the details that I needed to give them when I called them ,

Last edited:

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone, I'm still waiting for the DPP to call me , I'm also finding uk sites which all give different glucose blood numbers saying different things , one site says 5.6 is the lower end of pre diabetic, another different, and I'm not the only one to say this , I did take advice fron this forum and got a cheap no code kit , and did track my results just on the food I eat , so that was helpful.

Reactions: kumera

Kevinnnnnm

Hi. My fasting glukose 105 h1a1c. 4.9. Ogtt 2 .hours 118. My doctors Said prediabets .in my cauntry normal level 74-100 ?!! I feel bad now.İn here fasting glukose 74-108 .which is true please help me .?? Am ı sick??

caroll54

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm sorry , I'm new this myself so can not help , but on this forum there are loads who are so knowledgeable will be able to help . I can just about work things out for myself .

conniechiwa

Our kidneys receive 25% of our total blood supply, and our nephrons are supplied with blood through the microcirculation system. It is important that we improve our microcirculation to prevent kidney problems. One way is having microcirculation therapy. There are products out there that promises to improve our microcirculation. One is done transdermally so it is non-invasive. Best of luck! And oh, avoid salty food :)