gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
No worries!
I love the analogy too, it so works for me.
Occasionally I have strayed, normally under the influence of a lot of red wine, which helps keep liver busy therefore keeping the blood sugar down!
I think we're both lucky being caught at pre diabetic level which (hopefully) gives the pancreas an opportunity to recover if we watch what we eat.

I do so agree that it's fortunate being caught at a prediabetic stage. In my case I had an NHS health check 5 years ago and they found I had high blood pressure and moderately high cholesterol. Shortly after that I got my med notes online and discovered the HbA1c was 41 and nobody had said anything, too busy fussing about the high BP. As for the cholesterol I'm a sceptic on the issue and certainly won't take a statin although I was offered one.
The HbA1c of 41 actually scared me more and to think that I'd never have known if I hadn't managed to get the notes online. I lost weight and ditched the salt and various other things in order to lose weight but it didn't prevent me having to take meds for the BP which was sickening. The HbA1c dropped to 40 but went back to 41 and now is 43 :banghead:. My NY resolution is to go on the 8 week blood sugar diet and see what that does.
Given the box ticking system in the NHS the very last thing I want to see is a diagnosis of diabetes on my med notes and the prediabetes warning is helpful. And of course the help and advice given on this site.

Jo123

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:. Please do not make me imagine it, not when my reading is at 15.8 now.
Oh sweetheart I'm really sorry to worry you.
That's only what keeps me motivated, I'm sure it takes years of high blood sugar levels to cause damage.
Plus I had a very small blood clot in the summer and so had an angiogram, my arteries are all perfect, and I think I was pre diabetic for years, I had loads of symptoms, and when I started testing, I was going into the teens when I was testing what I had eaten for years.