Pre-diabetic lurker turned poster

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,

I'm Be.

I've been a big fan of this site for a while now and have finally got my backside into gear and registered.

I'm 38, have hypertension and have been flirting with pre-diabetes for the past couple of years. I'm trying to go LCHF and make a real go of it this time after a long history of binge eating and falling off the wagon a few times. I'm trying to keep in mind that diabetes or no diabetes, the way I've been eating has done me no favours (overweight for my frame, doughy face, sluggishness, poor digestion, etc) and that it's really time to mend my salad-dodging ways.

Look forward to seeing you in the LCHF forum, xxx

Reactions: 12 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Welcome Rosbif - I have used this forum since I was diagnosed and have found it invaluable. I may not post very often, but always follow new threads with interest. I have found that my knowledge has grown immeasurably, far more than any 10 min appointment with my DSN - who is fabulous, but can only do so much in the time allowed. I am sure you will find your way to better health and bgs and reducing the carbs is the way to go. There is an excellent low carb programme for beginners on the home page of this site. Wish you well in your endeavours.:)

Reactions: 7 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome aboard.
Let us know how you get on with your new regime. :)
Thanks! I've already been cutting down for the past week and I do feel -how do I put it? - cleaner inside, more streamlined??? But also very tired and irritable in the evenings...

Reactions: 5 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome Rosbif - I have used this forum since I was diagnosed and have found it invaluable. I may not post very often, but always follow new threads with interest. I have found that my knowledge has grown immeasurably, far more than any 10 min appointment with my DSN - who is fabulous, but can only do so much in the time allowed. I am sure you will find your way to better health and bgs and reducing the carbs is the way to go. There is an excellent low carb programme for beginners on the home page of this site. Wish you well in your endeavours.:)
Thanks! I'll be sure to check out the programme you mention. We are certainly our own best advocates and while many of us aren't medical professionals, we do know our own bodies and what feels right and what doesn't. This site is a brilliant resource.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks! I've already been cutting down for the past week and I do feel -how do I put it? - cleaner inside, more streamlined??? But also very tired and irritable in the evenings...
Hello,Rosbif...if your going to lchf , try upping the fat content of your meals,things like avocado, streaky bacon,butter,olive oil( recommend a tablespoon of good olive oil over salads) this will help
Have a good read i will ask @daisy1. For the welcome info for you

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello,Rosbif...if your going to lchf , try upping the fat content of your meals,things like avocado, streaky bacon,butter,olive oil( recommend a tablespoon of good olive oil over salads) this will help
Have a good read i will ask @daisy1. For the welcome info for you
Thanks! I'll try to add in a bit more fat!

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Rosbif - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. You have made an excellent decision to join us on here. Lots of friendly, helpful and supportive guys and gals. If you have any questions? Just ask away - there is always someone ready to answer.:)

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Rosbif - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. You have made an excellent decision to join us on here. Lots of friendly, helpful and supportive guys and gals. If you have any questions? Just ask away - there is always someone ready to answer.:)
Thanks! I've been living on borrowed time and so I do need to sort myself out. I've an annual blood test next week so I'll know more about my status then. So far I've had HbA1c's in the mid to late 5's and low 6's. I've been thinking about getting a meter - I seem to remember that there's a brand that people recommend as being good value. Do you know which it is off the top of your head? If not, I'll do a bit of digging myself.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The meter with the cheapest test strips is the Codefree. It is the cost of the strips that is important rather than the cost of the meter (some of which are free, but you pay through the nose for the strips). Have a look here http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
If you buy extra strips in bulk there is a discount code.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Initially you will need a lot of strips if you intend to use them for testing out which foods your body can cope with.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Rosbif - Yes, you must get a Meter - it is the most important and vital piece of equipment that a diabetic needs. Will get back to you.:) I see that Bluetit1802 has provided you with the information about meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha, my cover is blown ;-) Yes, I live in France (north-east) and am from the UK.
lol My son worked as a language assistant in Brittany for his 3rd year of Uni. The second new word I learnt from him was 'les rosbifs'. The first was 'manifester'. ;)

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The meter with the cheapest test strips is the Codefree. It is the cost of the strips that is important rather than the cost of the meter (some of which are free, but you pay through the nose for the strips). Have a look here http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
If you buy extra strips in bulk there is a discount code.
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Initially you will need a lot of strips if you intend to use them for testing out which foods your body can cope with.
Yes! Codefree rings a bell. I'll look into one of those, then. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 4 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
lol My son worked as a language assistant in Brittany for his 3rd year of Uni. The second new word I learnt from him was 'les rosbifs'. The first was 'manifester'. ;)
I bet he enjoyed his stay in Brittany and picked up a few Breton words too!
I was a language assistant too, but in Germany.