Pre Diabetic

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi

This is my first post, i completely by accident some time ago whilst having a blood test for an insurance policy found my fasting blood sugar levels were high, i went to the doctors who carried out a HBA1C test which came back at 46, i bought a meter and cut my carbs and increased my exercise, my last check was 42 so better but still room for improvement.

My question is why most morning even though at night i will have eaten a low carb dinner, had no snacks and drank only water is my blood levels high (6.2 - 6.9) not every morning but many in the week, weekend i will have an alcoholic drink and still low carb and 90% of the time the level is 5.5 - 5.7. I am not diabetic and am trying to fend it off but don't understand why this is the case, during the day if i test it is usually fine and 2 hours after eating it is 6.2 - 6.8 sometimes lower. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks

Manion

Reactions: Freema

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

This is my first post, i completely by accident some time ago whilst having a blood test for an insurance policy found my fasting blood sugar levels were high, i went to the doctors who carried out a HBA1C test which came back at 46, i bought a meter and cut my carbs and increased my exercise, my last check was 42 so better but still room for improvement.

My question is why most morning even though at night i will have eaten a low carb dinner, had no snacks and drank only water is my blood levels high (6.2 - 6.9) not every morning but many in the week, weekend i will have an alcoholic drink and still low carb and 90% of the time the level is 5.5 - 5.7. I am not diabetic and am trying to fend it off but don't understand why this is the case, during the day if i test it is usually fine and 2 hours after eating it is 6.2 - 6.8 sometimes lower. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks

Manion

Hi @manion,

Welcome to the forums.

We tend to be a little higher when we wake up because of this......

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Your BG numbers look pretty good, some people are much more affected by this than you seem to be.

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi

Thanks for the reply, i always assumed wrongly that the dawn phenomenon affected diabetics only, what can i do if anything to help this?

Thanks

Manion

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @manion, dp affects non-diabetics too. It is part of our genetic heritage. Our livers are programmed to give us that boost as we wake to get us going. I wouldn't worry about it, your figures are fine.
But if you do want to try to bring your fbgs down people on here have found that a small protein snack, like a few peanuts or a bit of cheese shortly before you go to bed can help.