Pre pregnancy clinic

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm type 1 34yo on fiasp/Levimer mdi. I'm 3 Stone overweight and my last a1c was 7.5% My consultant has referred me to the pre pregnancy clinic but I'm just wondering what happens here? What does it involve? How often do you go etc?

I know my age and weight etc will make ivf difficult but I'm working on getting fit healthy and improving my A1c

Last edited:

eabhamurphy

So at preconception clinic you see a nurse at regular intervals (every 2-4 weeks) looking at your BG pattern, trying to eliminate hypos while reducing average and post prandial sugars. They will give you folic acid 5mg to take daily. You have monthly HBA1c to work towards getting it in range.
I was switched to a pump and asked to wait TTC conceive until I was well established on pump.
You have every chance of concieving naturally without IVF. Any questions let me know. I've found the preconception clinic great! I didn't go in my first pregnancy.

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So at preconception clinic you see a nurse at regular intervals (every 2-4 weeks) looking at your BG pattern, trying to eliminate hypos while reducing average and post prandial sugars. They will give you folic acid 5mg to take daily. You have monthly HBA1c to work towards getting it in range.
I was switched to a pump and asked to wait TTC conceive until I was well established on pump.
You have every chance of concieving naturally without IVF. Any questions let me know. I've found the preconception clinic great! I didn't go in my first pregnancy.
Thanks so much for your reply. I should have explained I have no choice but to go down the ivf route as I went through menopause at age 15.

eabhamurphy

Thanks so much for your reply. I should have explained I have no choice but to go down the ivf route as I went through menopause at age 15.
Ah ok! That sounds really tough for a teenager.
You'll find the preconception clinic really helpful and it will really help you get your HBA1c down as well! Which is brilliant in itself.
Good luck! Its an interesting journey! Xx

Reactions: sjm1308