Pre pregnancy

Domo2222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone my name is Dominique I'm 23 years old I found out I had type 2 diabetes in 2016 I was so heart broken and now I'm trying to concieve I'm just asking for some healthy advice that can help me have a safe and healthy pregnancy
I'm currently taking one tablet a day of glipzide

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dominique, I have no tips but to keep the sugars in check, I just wanted to say hello :)

Reactions: SallyEzra

eabhamurphy

Hi Dominique,
First thing I would do is discuss your plans with your diabetes team. I'm not sure how much is now known in the safety of glipizide during pregnancy. My understanding was they have higher risk of neonatal hypoglycemia and are not generally used but this may be outdated information!
Good luck x

SallyEzra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Domo2222,

It’s great that you are prepping yourself pre-pregnancy on what you need to do. This approach will stand you & the health of your baby in a good position in the long run.

I have 1 child & am also pregnant at the moment. I am seeing my hospital team around every 2wks right now, which I find really helpful.

I agree with eabhamurphy that your best bet is to contact your diabetic care team in advance of pregnancy. They really become an important team that you work so closely with during a pregnancy that it is best to include them from the outset.

I guess you are already taking the 500mg of folic acid? And whilst trying to conceive they recommend that you keep your blood sugar within the same parameters that is required during pregnancy in order to protect your health & that of the child. So whilst I don’t have my current pregnancy notes on me, I do have a copy of those I took when having my son a couple of years ago......pre meal blood sugars needed to be between 3.7-5.7 (I think this one has changed slightly for this pregnancy, as they no longer want the pre meal below 4). And 1hr post meal the blood sugar shouldn’t be more than 7.8.

The reason for this is in order to help prevent miscarriage and to help avoid the child having heart defects etc or being macrosomic (very large- resulting in potential delivery complications). In addition to 12 & 20wk scans on the nhs, diabetics usually receive a 24wk scan to check the baby for any heart defects.

If you need more blood sugar testing kit from your GP due to trying to conceive or being pregnant, than they are happy to issue via normal repeat prescriptions, if you tell them your situation they are usually really understanding & will issue extra kit.

Good luck!

Soxziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling like I am
Not being able to buy clothes properly
Hi Domo2222

Please don't be too heartbroken - There is always a way! I was diagnosed with type 2 last year when I went to the GP to discuss conception and future planning.

As the others have discussed it is well worth contacting your diabetes team or GP if not in contact with diabetes team. If you have it in your local area, ask to be referred to the pre-conception clinic, it was hugely beneficial for me to attend this as I am now on a clear plan for my diabetes should I wish to proceed with pregnancy.

I hope this is a way forward for you and good luck!

georgia121

Hi
Your question is good serious .but don't worry about that last time i read an article about that. if you need more help about that get lots of info momycenter.com