Pre type 2 diabetes/ blurry vision and menopause!

Jen 2

Hello, I am very new to this and very confused! For a while now I have experienced blurry vision on and off..a visit to the optician led me to a visit to the doctor where I had a blood test which concluded I am pre diabetes.
I have had some good advice from a friend in the know and I am addressing my diet and will be having a one to one on the NHS at the end of the month prior to starting the pre diabetes programme so I am feeling positive about all that.
I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject and a big concern to me has been the realisation that my lack of quality sleep due to hot flushes over the past few years can actually have been a trigger for my increase in blood sugar levels. Also depending on which article I read it sounds like my hot flushes could be a symptom of my sugar being high not the menopause!!
Totally confused here so it would be greatly appreciated if anyone who has/or is experiencing the same could give me some advice please.
Blurry vision as I type this

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Jen,
Yes blurry vision is common with diabetes if blood sugars are not controlled.
You’ll need to ask the doc about the symptoms to establish if menopause/diabetes but if you are of an age to be expecting menopause then that seems likely.

Jen 2

Hi Jen,
Yes blurry vision is common with diabetes if blood sugars are not controlled.
You’ll need to ask the doc about the symptoms to establish if menopause/diabetes but if you are of an age to be expecting menopause then that seems likely.
Hi Diakat, thanks for your response. I first had hot flushes 20 years ago and blood tests showed it was the menopause and I continued to have them (apart from when I took HRT) for a lot of years. The flushes had subsided but I gradually started to have them again and now they are back with avengeance..it is only from what I have read recently about pre diabetes etc that I have begun to wonder what the true cause of them is now! Because of hot flushes I have had very disturbed sleep which I have read can also cause problems with insulin so I need to get my lack of sleep sorted too..some research also suggests that if I lose weight now it will be from muscle rather than fat because of my lack of sleep! (There was more to the explanation than I have said but that I think was the gist of it)
I will as you suggest go to the doctor and discuss all this and hope I get to see a sympathetic, knowledgeable doctor!
I presume there must be other women out there who are going through the same..if you are reading this please give me your thoughts

KatherineB23

Hi Jen,
I am also newly diagnosed with pre-diabetes and I can 100% understand your condition. I am also menopausal and am on HRT, have blurry vision (although my prescription has changed) and have bad sleep patterns. I did my first day NHS course for reversing this condition and discovered that stress and anxiety, along with less than 7 hours sleep a night can contribute to higher blood sugar levels. Considering I suffer from those in spades, it was a bit of a wake up call. I guess the stresses of life have a far wider effect on our bodies than I previously thought.
I am going to take my own advice and try to learn to relax!!

Jen 2

Hi Katherine. Thanks for your message and for confirming what worries me that lack of sleep is a contributing factor for diabetes! As you say we need to start relaxing more and somehow get some more sleep but I am sure you will agree that it's easier said than done.. I'm looking forward to having my one to one, getting more info/starting the course and hoping to get some help from my doctor too.
I am trying to think positively and will be finding in a local yoga course and taking up swimming again and starting to give myself a bit more tlc than I have been doing!