Preconception levels

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all.

My parter and I are planning to have a second baby.

With my first I didn't go to any preconception clinics and just got pregnant so although I know about pregnancy and diabetes I don't know much about the bit before.

I've been to clinic and have been told I need my levels to be 5.4 fasting and 8 after meals so pretty much the same as in pregnancy.

My question is, how do I do this and what are your experiences?

Don't know if it helps but my current hba1c is 7.8

Thanks!

Indiana x

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been to preconception clinic because I fell pregnant waiting for the appointment!

In regards to how to get your levels in target as much as possible, the following has helped me:

Do basal testing to check if your basal is right. Once you're sure they are, do the same for checking your insulin carb ratio and correction factor.

Test loads and correct as often as needed. That is literally my top tip! I am testing 10 to 12 times a day now I am pregnant but would still test as much as needed before I started trying. The quicker you can catch and correct a high (and lows) the less time you spend out of range.

Get in a routine of bolusing well before you eat. I know it isn't always possible but this will help the post meal spike. I bolus 30 mins before food unless I am hypo.

If my blood sugar is higher than about 8, I do a correction and bolus for the food I plan to eat, then test again in 45 mins and if it's under 6 I will then eat. I don't know if that's necessary pre-conception but I do it now I am pregnant.

Print off your pump/bg readings regularly and maybe make a log of what you've eaten for a week. See if you can spot any patterns of highs or lows and adjust things accordingly. Get support from your dsn when you need to - my dsn has been a great help. Even just by reminding me I'm doing my best!

Apart from all that (!!) I would just say try not to let it rule your life. Your routine needs to be sustainable. Get into good habits with testing etc, but don't obsess about it. I find if I get obsessed I start freaking out at the responsibility and get down realising perfect control is not possible. That leads to burnout and wanting to give up. I think it's about balancing trying your best and not letting it overtake your life.

Good luck trying to conceive :) what was your most recent a1c?

Reactions: mytype1.life