Prediabetes and Anemia

rustyryan

I joined this forum because I thought I was experiencing prediabetes. I had all the symptoms or so I thought. Diabetes runs in my family so I went and got all of my blood work done. It came back negative, I just am anemic. I understand I have low iron, I have my entire life. I just don't understand why 1. I have to pee ALL the time, it's embarrassing at work getting up to go all the time especially when I do not drink that much to begin with 2. I am ALWAYS tired. Even after a great nights sleep. I can't take an iron vitamin because it just makes me constipated(TMI) and 3. I have gained weight but have not changed my eating habits or exercise, which would cause the gain. There are other symptoms but I feel like I am rambling on..
I know I am am anemic but I still think I may have prediabtes. I just do not know what I should do now..any thoughts?

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Have you been checked for hypothyroidism?

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Or is it hyperthyroidism? Not sure but similar symptoms of tired and weight gain in my partner

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

rustyryan

Yes and for some reason that wasn't covered under my insurance. I needed additional blood work done after that and I am still waiting to hear back from those results..

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
It took my partner lots of tests and visits to get the diagnosis and correct treatment but six months in and she looks and feels a lot better and has lost 20lbs which can't be all bad - stick at it there is normally a reason but believe me whilst T2 is a nice label it is no fun so do not be down about it as it sounds like you might be better off

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting.......

I had all the symptoms a few years ago. I was tested for hypothyroidism, diabetes and anaemia. All came back negative. I then had an additional test to check my "iron stores" - which is apparently different to the iron readily available in the blood. That was the culprit and I was packed off with lots of iron pills.

I didn't like them, so now I take a multi vitamin with iron daily to keep my topped up. It also contains bitumen C which helps you digest/absorb the iron so you don't get constipated! And it's lower doses than the full iron tablets.

I say it's interesting though as now, 4 and a half years later, I'm a Type 1. Having had all this in the past is the reason I didn't go to the doctor for so long as I though I was "badly" anaemic and more iron pills would fix it! So I wonder if rather I was already slowing down in pancreatic function all those years ago!

rustyryan

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I am curious now about my "iron stores" I would have never known the difference. Now that I think about it that may be what I got tested for the second time, still waiting to hear back from those results. What brand multi-vitamin do you take if you don't mind my asking?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just use chip as chips supermarket own brand. Nothing fancy and does the job!

C

catherinecherub

rustyryan said:
I joined this forum because I thought I was experiencing prediabetes. I had all the symptoms or so I thought. Diabetes runs in my family so I went and got all of my blood work done. It came back negative, I just am anemic. I understand I have low iron, I have my entire life. I just don't understand why 1. I have to pee ALL the time, it's embarrassing at work getting up to go all the time especially when I do not drink that much to begin with 2. I am ALWAYS tired. Even after a great nights sleep. I can't take an iron vitamin because it just makes me constipated(TMI) and 3. I have gained weight but have not changed my eating habits or exercise, which would cause the gain. There are other symptoms but I feel like I am rambling on..
I know I am am anemic but I still think I may have prediabtes. I just do not know what I should do now..any thoughts?

Hi rusty,

Did you have an HBA1c test? If the answer is yes then I would ask for a Fructosamine Test. Anyone with anaemia and suspected diabetes should have this test as Red Blood Cells are affected by anaemia.

http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/unders ... e/tab/test

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a good idea! I wish I'd known that a few years ago, maybe it would have flagged up something for me.

Or maybe not bin just speculating.

You're the first person I know other than myself who pees a lot with anaemia!

rustyryan

Yes I have, but I will definitely ask my doc about getting a Fructosamine Test done. Thanks for the help! I'm just a little confused as to why my doctor wouldn't have told me to get that done in the first place. I've always been anemic and I told her I was worried about diabetes, you would think she would have suggested that in the first place..

And I thought I was the only person who pees a lot with anemia! Glad I am not the only one! I really didn't realize how often I went until other people started pointing it out to me, how rude.