Prediabetes and statins

padulica

Six years ago my hba1c was 43 , my GP didn’t tell me it was prediabetic level until 3 years later when I queried that result ( information I got from here ) . An Hba1c was done then and it was 41 but I had modified my diet . During lockdown I have let my diet lapse and it is 43 again. The dr is wanting to put me on statins .. I have white coat syndrome, I am very active normally. What advice has everyone had ?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Six years ago my hba1c was 43 , my GP didn’t tell me it was prediabetic level until 3 years later when I queried that result ( information I got from here ) . An Hba1c was done then and it was 41 but I had modified my diet . During lockdown I have let my diet lapse and it is 43 again. The dr is wanting to put me on statins .. I have white coat syndrome, I am very active normally. What advice has everyone had ?
Statins are for cholesterol and can cause BS to increase in some people such as myself. White coat syndrome affects people who are having their blood pressure taken. Did the GP say why he wanted you to take statins?

padulica

No he didn’t really give me a reason other than pre diabetes ! My father died of a stroke and what with the family history , white coat syndrome and pre diabetes it took my score up ☹️

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Ask him the side effects of statins ... no, second thoughts, demand it. Therein is my opinion of them

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
No he didn’t really give me a reason other than pre diabetes ! My father died of a stroke and what with the family history , white coat syndrome and pre diabetes it took my score up ☹️

Personally, I would never take anything if not given an explanation as to why I need something.

You don't have to and you have every right to refuse them.

If he cannot provide an answer, then that sounds a bit dodgy to me being they receive financial rewards for every patient they put on statins as @bulkbiker has pointed out. Statins can also turn prediabetic people into diabetics, so there is also that risk.

I'd be asking questions myself.

JohnSat

I have been on statins for several years now and like most people have no side effects or issues. I have a partly blocked artery going to my left arm which lowers the blood pressure in that arm. By taking statins it reduces the risk of it getting worse and means that I am avoiding surgery and all that goes with it.
By all means check why your doctor wants you to take them but do not be put off by the scare mongering of a few statins save the lives of thousands of people and 99+% of people have no side effects.
Good luck.

Reactions: JudyLee

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
statins save the lives of thousands of people and 99+% of people have no side effects.

That's quite a bold statement and probably not well evidenced..

Plenty of people have side effects.. so much so that they were specifically excluded from the early statin trials that took place.