1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes, many questions about diet

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Divia, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Divia

Divia · Active Member

I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I've tested with food, now that I have a monitor.

After the lchf meals, my BG doesn't go up, or very little. I mean meals with less than 10g carbs.

Yesterday I had a spike up to 128.5 mg/dL after eating bad, high carb cheesecake with 46 g.

My BG between meals and upon waking up is low 90s, high 80s.

I don't know what to make of it, but what I do understand is that high BG like that is bad for us and it seems that if I avoid high carbs, I'll be below 100 mg/dL.

It's too soon to really conclude on anything, because I'm new to measuring BG and need to see if it's really a rule, instead of a particular bad day/good day thing.

I also understood you're talking about good carb foods, like lentils and oats, not bad carb food like a cake. I understood.

In a few meals, I'll try lentils and see how my BG reacts.

But I must say my body seems to agree with lchf. I've noticed improvements in other areas.

Perhaps I need a balance. Because before, my fat intake was very low and we need fats.

But I'm decided that the starting point will be lchf. Then I'll try a little higher carb foods and see what. Like a little lentil dish, if my body can deal with the carbs.

Yesterday, I went back to the gym and people noticed I had lost weight. They think I lost a lot of weight. I haven't! I found it interesting. Looking at myself in the mirror, I've seen what they saw. I looked slimmer. I can't explain. I lost only 1 kg (about 2 pounds).

I can still lose weight, because my BMI was above 23. I have to check where it is today, in view of the mirror thing. But I'll watch it to avoid going unhealthy thin.

Thank you for sharing!

2. Divia

Divia · Active Member

Thank you for sharing!

Yay for your condition now! I'm very happy for you!

I've got the book and read it! Amazing info!

I've also got a meter and I'm lchf as we speak!

After being afraid of too intense exercise, I got the courage to go back to the gym. My BG after a vigorous cardio work out plus weight training was 90, so, it seems I can continue with it. I'm so happy. I'd miss it a lot, because my life revolves around exercise. It's my luxury item and leisure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Divia

Divia · Active Member

I wasn't overweight. My BMI is below 24, low 23, and in my whole life, it has been to a max of, say, 25.2 in two occasions which I dealt with immediately. Long ago.

I hear you.

I'll keep the lchf experiment. If I lose too much weight, or become I'll, I'll look for an alternative.

I'll test higher carbs like lentils and see what my BG does.

4. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Not surprised with your experience of low carb. BG's will be flat after such meals and you are just in very early stage of prediabetic. No carbs no sugar spike.
    I am proponent of experiments az i did for myself and happy for you that low carb is making you feel good and you feeling great.
    Just try not to mix carbs with fats. Atleast not saturated fat.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook