Prediabetes maybe?

RhiC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
New here, so firstly Hi. Long story short, had bloods last week, possible iron deficiency, got call back 2 days later saying everything fine but Glucose needed looking at again so another test required, non fasting this time, booked for today. Mum in law type 2 so I popped over to hers early this morning and she did my bloods which came in at 6.8. None the wiser, went for bloods and nurse explained I needed HBA1C doing. Still a little confused with all the jargon, I turned to Google, where I read quite a lot on the numbers and where they should be and with a bit of digging worked out that 6.8mmol/l equates to around 122.5 mg/dl, which is prediabetes?? can anyone shed any light? Thank you, much appreciated. Rhian

RhiC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Am 5'2 and a bit, 8st12, BMI of 21, body fat of 14.2%. Run 4-5 times a week, eat healthy on a 16:8 fasting regime. Xxx

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi we can't diagnose on the forum, you will have to wait for test results which only take a few days.

Do come back with your test results though. There is a lot of help and support here.

RhiC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi we can't diagnose on the forum, you will have to wait for test results which only take a few days.

Do come back with your test results though. There is a lot of help and support here.
Thank you Alison. Was just wondering if anyone would comment on the numbers above, I'm sure they mean more to others than they do me at the moment. But yes, I will be on here often for advise should my google search be correct! Thank you again Xxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New here, so firstly Hi. Long story short, had bloods last week, possible iron deficiency, got call back 2 days later saying everything fine but Glucose needed looking at again so another test required, non fasting this time, booked for today. Mum in law type 2 so I popped over to hers early this morning and she did my bloods which came in at 6.8. None the wiser, went for bloods and nurse explained I needed HBA1C doing. Still a little confused with all the jargon, I turned to Google, where I read quite a lot on the numbers and where they should be and with a bit of digging worked out that 6.8mmol/l equates to around 122.5 mg/dl, which is prediabetes?? can anyone shed any light? Thank you, much appreciated. Rhian
If the MIL test was a fasting one and if it had been done in your doctors surgery then you might be classed as pre-diabetic. They used to use two such tests to make their mind up but these days the Hba1c test is used since it gives much more information. A fasting finger prick test of over 7 would mean you were actually diabetic. If it was not a fasting test then you would have to be over 11 for them to show interest.

The MIL test all depends on how long before the test that you ate.

When you get the result of the Hba1c then anything between 42 and 48 are classed as pre-diabetic. Interestingly you don't have to fast for an Hba1c test.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @RhiC and welcome to the forum. The reading of 6.8 on your MiL's meter would be the equivalent of 41 on the HbA1c (ifcc) scale. On that scale anything below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.
However glucose meters aren't 100% accurate, and finger prick tests only give a snapshot of your blood sugar level at that moment in time, which can be affected by various factors including tiredness, stress, infection and what you have eaten recently.

The full HbA1c test, which is done with a blood sample sent to a lab for analysis gives a more accurate diagnosis as it measures your blood sugar levels over the last 8-12 weeks - the length of time it takes your red blood cells to be replaced.

RhiC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @RhiC and welcome to the forum. The reading of 6.8 on your MiL's meter would be the equivalent of 41 on the HbA1c (ifcc) scale. On that scale anything below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic.
However glucose meters aren't 100% accurate, and finger prick tests only give a snapshot of your blood sugar level at that moment in time, which can be affected by various factors including tiredness, stress, infection and what you have eaten recently.

The full HbA1c test, which is done with a blood sample sent to a lab for analysis gives a more accurate diagnosis as it measures your blood sugar levels over the last 8-12 weeks - the length of time it takes your red blood cells to be replaced.

Hi Prem. Thanks for that! Results were rushed through and I'm all good!!! Tests came back at 34 which I'm told is fine, worry over! Thank you to those that replied, Rhian xxx