Prediabetes

Stringboy

Hi
3 months ago I was told I had prediatbetes. A number of 44 was supplied. I cut down on sugar and I’m creased activity. I was then told I had diabetes with a number of 48.
Since then I have stopped sugar, as much as possible in this world of sugar in everything, greatly increased activity (squash) and now I have been given a number of 43. Back to prediabetes.
I am confused as to what is happening!
I will continue with my current line but not sure what I should be doing. I am not on any medication. Can anyone throw a light on my position.
Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi
3 months ago I was told I had prediatbetes. A number of 44 was supplied. I cut down on sugar and I’m creased activity. I was then told I had diabetes with a number of 48.
Since then I have stopped sugar, as much as possible in this world of sugar in everything, greatly increased activity (squash) and now I have been given a number of 43. Back to prediabetes.
I will continue with my current line but not sure what I should be doing. I am not on any medication. Can anyone throw a light on my position.
Thanks

Your body (and everyone else's) tries to turn all carbohydrates into glucose. High carb content foods like potato, pasta, rice and bread are therefore feeding your diabetes. Think about how much carbohydrate you eat and look at the nutrition labels - ignore the 'of which sugars bit, it's irrelevant to us.

I will tag @Daisy 1 and hopefully she will provide you with some useful info, you can also click in the links on any moderator's signature (below).

Welcome to the forums!

Stringboy

Firstly, thank you for your reply. I’m confused as to what is a good diet. Just about every meal, that I had thought was healthy and balanced, contains a carbohydrate of one of the types you described. That only leaves me with salad and meat. I will definitely look into diets with no sugar and very low carbohydrates. Look forward to hearing from @Daisy 1. Thanks again. I’m desperately trying to stop getting to full on diabetes but still doing something wrong. I have managed to lose 10kg in the past 3 months taking me down to a total weight of 93kg by completely cutting out sugar. Cheers PeteM.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Firstly, thank you for your reply. I’m confused as to what is a good diet. Just about every meal, that I had thought was healthy and balanced, contains a carbohydrate of one of the types you described. That only leaves me with salad and meat. I will definitely look into diets with no sugar and very low carbohydrates. Look forward to hearing from @Daisy 1. Thanks again. I’m desperately trying to stop getting to full on diabetes but still doing something wrong. I have managed to lose 10kg in the past 3 months taking me down to a total weight of 93kg by completely cutting out sugar. Cheers PeteM.

We have a whole forum for low carb eating https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It also includes fish, especially oily fish like salmon and mackerel, all dairy products except milk, plenty of eggs, leafy green veggies that grow above the ground such as kale, cauliflower, broccoli and so on. It also includes bacon, so a decent breakfast could be bacon and eggs, mushrooms, a tomato, and a 97% meat sausage. It excludes most fruit, but berries are fine in small quantities and best eaten as a pudding with cream or full fat yogurt, and avocados are excellent. You do not have to eat like a rabbit! Sugar is just another carbohydrate. They all turn to glucose once digested.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Thanks
I have been in your shoes. I cut out sugar and cakes and it worked. But only in a limited way, and then my HbA1c levelled out along with weight loss. To drop my weight and HbA1c further I then had to cut out carbs.

Stringboy

Wow. That is exactly what has happened. I was quite disappointed as I had thought that removing sugar drastically was going to be enough. I am now coming to terms with a further diet change is required. I am now feeling much more positive with the replies on this forum. Who would imagine that carbohydrates are just sugars in disguise. Feeling pretty stupid right now. Thanks again PeteM.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. That is exactly what has happened. I was quite disappointed as I had thought that removing sugar drastically was going to be enough. I am now coming to terms with a further diet change is required. I am now feeling much more positive with the replies on this forum. Who would imagine that carbohydrates are just sugars in disguise. Feeling pretty stupid right now. Thanks again PeteM.
Don't feel stupid we were all there sometime ago its just that having your eyes opened can be a revelation!
Well done so far and if you need a hand just ask here, there's always someone around.