Prediabetic after gestational diabetes and maybe type 2

Charl flo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’ve been stalking for a few days so thought I would introduce myself.

I’m Charlotte. I’m 35 years old. In 2016 and 2019 I had generational diabetes pretty bad. I was on over 100 units of insulin a day through my pregnancies.

In 2017 I was told I had prediabetes with an hbac1 of 44.
In 2018 my Hbac1 was 43.

January 2020 I called for my results and was told they were fine. Having a 2nd baby and all that came with it I just accepted it and moved on.

Always been trying to lose weight but struggled. Any weight I lose I put back on quickly.

Maternity leave was good for me, walks everyday and exercise along with general healthy eating.

September 2020, started back to work. Working from home, desk job and doing a degree (more sitting down). Lots of snacking and takeaways.

I am on anti depressants also from post natal depression and my relationship with food isn’t great.

Stepped on the scales to see me at 20 stone 7lbs. That was a changing point for me.

Looked into the Newcastle diet and then started exante. 2 weeks of exante and I couldn’t control my bowels and having accidents in the night. So stopped exante.

I didn’t even think about the diabetes. It was lost in the back of my mind. I have this years Hbac1 on Thursday and I’m pretty sure that I’ll be prediabetic again or diabetic.

I am kicking myself for letting myself go and not doing something about my weight and sugars when I had the chance.

I have started testing and this morning fasting was 7.0.

Yesterday I started LCHF.

Unsure what my numbers should be for fasting?

Also what is the range I should aim for with pre and post meals?

Any advice for controlling blood sugars and losing weight with LCHF way of eating?

If you’ve got this far, thanks for reading.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your fasting BG is right on the diagnostic threshold of T2, 5.6-6.9 being pre-diabetic then >7mmol/L is diabetic. This needs to be confirmed by a lab draw, as your waiting on your HbA1c I'd expect you'll get both results together. Now whether you've tipped over the brink or not is only points on a spectrum. What you have is tremendous wiggle room for improvement, I was 19.5st at diagnosis so not far off yourself. Once I started low carb the weight just fell off & the bloods normalised again. If you've caught this early enough & your insulin resistance is purely down to visceral fat then the solutionlies in your hands.

Good luck.

Charl flo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your fasting BG is right on the diagnostic threshold of T2, 5.6-6.9 being pre-diabetic then >7mmol/L is diabetic. This needs to be confirmed by a lab draw, as your waiting on your HbA1c I'd expect you'll get both results together. Now whether you've tipped over the brink or not is only points on a spectrum. What you have is tremendous wiggle room for improvement, I was 19.5st at diagnosis so not far off yourself. Once I started low carb the weight just fell off & the bloods normalised again. If you've caught this early enough & your insulin resistance is purely down to visceral fat then the solutionlies in your hands.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I’m eating low carb now, so onwards and downwards regardless of the test I think.

I think I’m worried about eating too much fat though as I definitely need to lose weight!