Prediabetic - latest hba1c

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ive just had another hba1c test done, 4 and a half months after being told that it was 45 and I was prediabetic. Since then I have taken my docrors advice of taking more exercise and losing weight, but haven't followed his advice on how to do it (yep the eat well plate) and have been following a low carb diet, always under 50g carbs a day, and mostly under 40g. This has worked very well for me, I feel better and weigh less than I have for 20 years, have lost 35lbs and my BMI is now 22.3. My fasting BS has gone from in the mid to high 6's to mid 5's. Before a meal I'm in the 5's and 2 hours after either in the low 6's or back down where I was.
So it's working well. I have found the advice from this group invaluable, and the support and encouragement shown has spurred me on. I have been amazed how quickly low carbing started to work too!
The result of the hba1c test this week was 39, down from 45. I'm really pleased that it's gone down, but I have to admit to being a tad disappointed that it hadn't gone down further, as I've stuck to this way of eating religiously. I know I should carry on like this if I don't want to end up back in the diabetic range, and I'm really enjoying my food, more than I have for years, so it's no hardship. But can I expect my hba1c to come down any more or is that it?

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You have done really well there is no need to be disappointed with a Hb1Ac of 39 keep up the good work and you may reduce it even further..:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your levels are excellent, and so is your HbA1c. It means you are averaging around 6.5mmol/ls (as per meter readings) and as far as I'm concerned, that is excellent. It may come down next time, it may not. Much depends on where your body wants you to be.

As you say you are usually in the low 6s after 2 hours, try testing at an hour and at 90 minutes. You may be mssing your peaks, which may explain the 6.5mmol/l average.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing a great job so carry on. It will probably come down more... I have to wait until July for my next HbA1c but hope that will be lower.. It took me about 6 months and starting intermittent fasting to get really low daily readings especially FBG so don't set your expectations too high. Keep up the great work.
All the best
Mark

Countryside_Yoyo_

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I will try the testing at 1 hour and 90 minutes, but as I've been sticking to low carb foods (no bread, cereal, pasta, rice, grains potatoes or below ground veg) I'm not sure where the spikes have come from to drive the hba1c up?
The next challenge is to persuade my hubby to give Low Carb a go. It's tough going as he has had a heart attack and is addicted to bread and has a sweet tooth, but I'll keep plugging away. He is prediabetic - his hba1c is 43 - but I guess that is partly explained by the high dose statin he is on. We mostly have the same meals anyway but he has the extra carbs on top.

I could not have done this without the help of this forum. At the moment I feel quite cross because it's like a secret that'll sort your blood sugars but no one in the medical field wants to tell you about it! Or even be supportive if you tell them (with visible proof) how you lost weight and brough BS down just with diet! Thankfully the tide is starting to turn and I have read more about LC in the media - although there are so many stories of "this diet is good for you, this one is bad" that it will take a lot more exposure before people really start to sit up and take notice.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
ive just had another hba1c test done, 4 and a half months after being told that it was 45 and I was prediabetic. Since then I have taken my docrors advice of taking more exercise and losing weight, but haven't followed his advice on how to do it (yep the eat well plate) and have been following a low carb diet, always under 50g carbs a day, and mostly under 40g. This has worked very well for me, I feel better and weigh less than I have for 20 years, have lost 35lbs and my BMI is now 22.3. My fasting BS has gone from in the mid to high 6's to mid 5's. Before a meal I'm in the 5's and 2 hours after either in the low 6's or back down where I was.
So it's working well. I have found the advice from this group invaluable, and the support and encouragement shown has spurred me on. I have been amazed how quickly low carbing started to work too!
The result of the hba1c test this week was 39, down from 45. I'm really pleased that it's gone down, but I have to admit to being a tad disappointed that it hadn't gone down further, as I've stuck to this way of eating religiously. I know I should carry on like this if I don't want to end up back in the diabetic range, and I'm really enjoying my food, more than I have for years, so it's no hardship. But can I expect my hba1c to come down any more or is that it?

Well done. What an absolute inspiration to us all:)

Diagnosed 13 April 16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, weight 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

2 June 16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, weight 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, waist 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile each day, weekly intermittent fasting.

Never give in, never give in, never never never given in...Winston Churchill.

Sent from my iPhone3 June16:

Sent from my iPhone