Prednisolone and HIGH BM

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I've been put on Prednisolone for 10 days and I cannot get my blood sugar down from 13 at all. I wonder if there is anyone here that can point me towards some tips for coping on steroids?

Thank you so much

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello,

I've been put on Prednisolone for 10 days and I cannot get my blood sugar down from 13 at all. I wonder if there is anyone here that can point me towards some tips for coping on steroids?

Thank you so much
You need to increase both basal and bolus. On average it works out to 2 units of insulin to 1 mg of pred just make sure you tests and have plenty of glucose handy just in case you come down unexpectedly.

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to increase both basal and bolus. On average it works out to 2 units of insulin to 1 mg of pred just make sure you tests and have plenty of glucose handy just in case you come down unexpectedly.

My Basal is normally 25 and I went to 40 so will up that a little more. Bolus I'm trying so hard with but I ended up using 100u with no change at all.

Thank you

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am surprised you have been prescribed that given your diabetic

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Unfortunately sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks and with chemo it's very important. It's not ideal but lots of helpful people here.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pred is a life saver whether you are diabetic or not.
It's better to have high numbers for a few days than no life as would be the case for some people.

Reactions: rorshach and Dodo

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello,

Thank you so much
I know @JohnEGreen has some experience without insulin but is a type2. His experience I find very useful.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My Basal is normally 25 and I went to 40 so will up that a little more. Bolus I'm trying so hard with but I ended up using 100u with no change at all.

Thank you
Steriods are renouned to cause insulin resistance. Which is the backbone of type2 diabetes.
IR is annoying but manageable. Take heart your in good company here.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why?... sometimes steroids are the only thing that works. My T2 husband has Polymyalgia and takes a low dose of prednisolone every day and probably will the rest of his life because they are the only thing that works for it. His doctor was worried about his BG levels when he was on the higher dose but actually it did not affect them to much and they stayed pretty good. She told him to gradually reduce the dose to the lowest level that still controls the pain. He is 85 and the doctor is more worried about his bones now as steroids can make them brittle but he does take a medication hopefully to help with that

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had/have Polymyalgia rheumatica for 10+ yrs. This is unusual as it often goes into remission after about 2yrs. I've had 2 bouts of giant cell Arteritis, and when that happens the only solution is to take very high doses of prednisolone (60/70 mg), or risk going blind overnight. Once you have gone up to that high a dose you have to come down very slowly, so it takes a long time.
This of course plays havoc with blood sugar levels, as the prednisolone is a trigger for diabetes 2. I escaped the Diabetes until about 4 years ago,when I was still on about 25 mg of prednisolone.

I went on low-carb more or less straight away, as I found this site a month before my DN appt came through. By the time she saw me I had already got an improvement to my BS levels, and had lost about a stone. (I had plenty to loose!)

If you are only on a short course, you can stop easily at the end of the course and the BS should go back to normal. While you are on them a low carb diet should help.

I did a lot of testing at the start of my Type 2, and found
1 the lower carb the better
2 there is (for me) a direct correlation between when I take the prednisolone, and the bs level rising. eg if I test in the morning before breakfast and get say 4.5, it will stay around that level until after lunch. Even if I don't have lunch it will start rising then. I take my prednisolone after breakfast, and I think that is when the BS starts rising.
3. I have 3 sizes of prednisolone, 5 mg, 2.5 mg and 1 mg. All 3 come as standard (uncoated, small white pills) But the 5mg and 2.5 mg also come as enteric slow release (small red pills). If I take the standard pills my BS rises earlier in the day. With the slow release I get a lower rise spread out for longer. The usual reason for prescribing the slow release ones is that they are less likely to cause stomach problems (ie stomach ulcers. We often use 'stomach' to mean general digestive system, but I'm using it here to mean the organ that is slightly above the waist where the food goes first). You may have to argue your case for the enteric coated tablets, as the uncoated are slightly cheaper. And again for a short course you probably don't need to bother.

It did occur to me to try splitting the dose of prednisolone into morning and evening, but the problem with that is that it can make you hyperactive and interfere with sleep. I read an article by someone who was prescribed a short course and was taking them at night. She found herself getting up in the middle of the night and scrubbing the kitchen floor.

I needed to test a lot to be able to pick out the patterns, but it was worth it. Also the DN I saw at the beginning gave me a meter and put strips on my prescription as she said that although they don't normally give them to Type 2's, mine was steroid induced, and it needed more testing to keep the BS under control.

About 2 years ago my rheumatologist decided the my Polymyalgia had morphed into rheumatoid arthritis, and put me on methotrexate with the aim of coming off prednisolone altogether. However, this isn't working quite to plan, and I'm still on 10 mg prednisolone, going up to 15mg if I get a flare of the rheumatoid arthritis.

I know our experiences are a bit different because of the type of diabetes we have, but I hope this helps a bit.

Margaret

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had/have Polymyalgia rheumatica for 10+ yrs. This is unusual as it often goes into remission after about 2yrs. I've had 2 bouts of giant cell Arteritis, and when that happens the only solution is to take very high doses of prednisolone (60/70 mg), or risk going blind overnight. Once you have gone up to that high a dose you have to come down very slowly, so it takes a long time.
This of course plays havoc with blood sugar levels, as the prednisolone is a trigger for diabetes 2. I escaped the Diabetes until about 4 years ago,when I was still on about 25 mg of prednisolone.

I went on low-carb more or less straight away, as I found this site a month before my DN appt came through. By the time she saw me I had already got an improvement to my BS levels, and had lost about a stone. (I had plenty to loose!)

If you are only on a short course, you can stop easily at the end of the course and the BS should go back to normal. While you are on them a low carb diet should help.

I did a lot of testing at the start of my Type 2, and found
1 the lower carb the better
2 there is (for me) a direct correlation between when I take the prednisolone, and the bs level rising. eg if I test in the morning before breakfast and get say 4.5, it will stay around that level until after lunch. Even if I don't have lunch it will start rising then. I take my prednisolone after breakfast, and I think that is when the BS starts rising.
3. I have 3 sizes of prednisolone, 5 mg, 2.5 mg and 1 mg. All 3 come as standard (uncoated, small white pills) But the 5mg and 2.5 mg also come as enteric slow release (small red pills). If I take the standard pills my BS rises earlier in the day. With the slow release I get a lower rise spread out for longer. The usual reason for prescribing the slow release ones is that they are less likely to cause stomach problems (ie stomach ulcers. We often use 'stomach' to mean general digestive system, but I'm using it here to mean the organ that is slightly above the waist where the food goes first). You may have to argue your case for the enteric coated tablets, as the uncoated are slightly cheaper. And again for a short course you probably don't need to bother.

It did occur to me to try splitting the dose of prednisolone into morning and evening, but the problem with that is that it can make you hyperactive and interfere with sleep. I read an article by someone who was prescribed a short course and was taking them at night. She found herself getting up in the middle of the night and scrubbing the kitchen floor.

I needed to test a lot to be able to pick out the patterns, but it was worth it. Also the DN I saw at the beginning gave me a meter and put strips on my prescription as she said that although they don't normally give them to Type 2's, mine was steroid induced, and it needed more testing to keep the BS under control.

About 2 years ago my rheumatologist decided the my Polymyalgia had morphed into rheumatoid arthritis, and put me on methotrexate with the aim of coming off prednisolone altogether. However, this isn't working quite to plan, and I'm still on 10 mg prednisolone, going up to 15mg if I get a flare of the rheumatoid arthritis.

I know our experiences are a bit different because of the type of diabetes we have, but I hope this helps a bit.

Margaret

Thank you very much. I'm sorry to hear of your conditions.

I'm on a very short course but a real control freak!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had/have Polymyalgia rheumatica for 10+ yrs. This is unusual as it often goes into remission after about 2yrs
You are right often Polymyalgia can go into remission and my husbands did for nearly 3 years and it was during that time he was diagnosed with T2 the doctor said it was probably down to the steroids he had taken. It returned about a year ago and he started on 20mg again now he has it down to 7.5mg but when he tries to go lower as his doctor would like him to the pains come back again so looks like that is the dosages he will stay on. Luckily his BG levels have stayed pretty steady in the 5s and 6s

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi there I had several chest infections and had several courses as there was no other choice. Prednisone is famous for raising the bg sky high. You have to sit it out and manage it as best as you can. Your bg will return to normal 10 days after taking the last one

Reactions: rorshach

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I had several chest infections and had several courses as there was no other choice. Prednisone is famous for raising the bg sky high. You have to sit it out and manage it as best as you can. Your bg will return to normal 10 days after taking the last one

Thank you so much. Honestly I'm sitting here at 18 with so much novo on board and your post came at the right time.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
It can be called steroid induced diabetes, if you google it and read about it it will put your mind at rest, stress makes the bg worse. Get well soon