Prednisone and BG levels

macone23

Dislikes
Drug Side effects
I am aware that steroid use raises BG levels but does anyone have an idea as to what extent. I'm type 2 with ongoing respiratory problems and amongst other things I take 30mg a day of prednisone. I am in the process of trying to get my levels sorted with local diabetes clinic but if I knew by how much the steroid affected my BG I may be able to take that into concideration also.
Many thanks if your able to help.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
macone23 said:
I am aware that steroid use raises BG levels but does anyone have an idea as to what extent. I'm type 2 with ongoing respiratory problems and amongst other things I take 30mg a day of prednisone. I am in the process of trying to get my levels sorted with local diabetes clinic but if I knew by how much the steroid affected my BG I may be able to take that into concideration also.
Many thanks if your able to help.
Hi,
as you have been on steroids for many years your adrenal glads would be well and truly destroyed now as well, so you are probably secondary addisons as a bonus. (steroid induced) So working on that assumption you would need 6 mg of pred to replace what your body does not produce any more.
The rest would for a type 1equal 2 units of insulin to 1mg of pred. :( (info compliments of my old endo)
You say you are with a local clinic does this clinic provide a diabetes consultant? If not perhaps ask for a referal to a proper clinic.

elainechi

wow i didn.t know that but very useful as my daughter ends up on steroids at least once a year for chest inf x