Pregnancy: Background Retinopathy

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Just got my results.
Does anyone have any positive storied to cheer me up?

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had background retinopathy when I found out i was pregnant with my daughter, had already had it for years, through good control during pregnancy my a1c was 6.1% by the time I gave birth it had reversed and my eye tests came back clear. It is reversible with good control. Unfortunately my last test I had done 4 years later, I have minor changes again but that's through to not being able to maintain the same level of control as when pregnant.

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Postitnote the same happened me. I'd always had clear tests then was closely monitored during pregnancy and as far as I was aware everything was fine but received a letter in March to say early changes had been detected in left eye. I've found it hard to accept but have finally realised that worrying won't change it, all I can do is keep tight control of BS and BP and keep fluctuations to a minimum. It sucks though, I completely understand how you must be feeling, it's a horrible letter!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Postitnote sorry to hear about your news but try not to worry, as you can see there are people who have reversed or kept their retinopathy under control and it hasn't progressed to the pre-proliferative/proliferate stages.

If you take a look at the following it has some great advice & information on diabetic retinopathy and explains why you should keep your bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control when diagnosed with the condition:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks everyone. It was inevitable as my I took my hba1c down from 89 to 32 in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. It has stayed at 32 aswell so I'm pleased with my control. Am sad but I've been reading lots online from people who have reversed it to help me feelse positive. Thanks for the note @noblehead

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All Clear! HURRAH!

Selfish post, just wanted to crow

Reactions: Dark Horse

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
All Clear! HURRAH!

Selfish post, just wanted to crow
I just saw your thread. Were you misdiagnosed? I've been misdiagnosed twice now. Both times once I saw an opthamologist who actually looked at my eyes rather than just the photo they confirmed I was ok. It's very nerve wracking.