Pregnancy blood sugar targets

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant I'm using the libre system I'm on Humalog and toujeo.

I've noticed my average glucose according to libre is 7.2 I know my Dsn is going to say this is high and I should be in the lower 5s and 6 but even if I do get down to a 5.2 my sugar just drops and end up hypo. Currently have 2 hypos a day .

The Humalog doesn't really peak til 3 4 hours so the 6.4 2 afters after seems pretty much impossible.

Anyone have any advice ?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on a) pregnancy!! b) having pretty tight bgs in spite of a).
The 7.2 average seems to reflect the hypo to hyper roller coaster.
Is there anything you can do to prevent the hypos e.g. are your bolus ratios wrong because you are trying to keep bgs perfect to protect the baby etc? or is the basal wrong or peaking at some point.
I have done 3 pregnancies (all outcomes still doing well at 11-16 years!) and found early on, I was being so strict with blood sugars that I overcompensated with insulin and ended up hypo a few times.
The other option to the rollercoaster is to eat less carbs so that you need less insulin and have only little dose errors (Dr Bernstein's Law of Small Numbers). That might give you a smoother ride.

Also do you qualify for the freestyle libre because you are pregnant and need to keep things tight?

Agree with your point about humalog peaks and troughs too. That's why dosing whilst still eating lots of carbs is Mission Impossible!

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did decrease my basal to 10 units in first few weeks then my sugars started to increase so upped it .

Meal times I tend to have 5 units of insulin some times 4 depending on what im having .

Find it hard to stay in the targets as Im at higher end but still having hypos cos I jus can't stay stable and can get to 5.2 but my sugars continue to drop I eat a bowl of cereal at bedtime and take insulin that keeps me steady and I wake up on good numbers .But afternoon evening time I end up with hypos .

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am currently 8weeks 2 days and my meter average also hovers between 6.8 to 7.2 probably more on the 7.2 side most of the time! This result for me is not perfect but not the worst...I am a perfectionist and very tough on myself and in my first pregnancy i think it was a lot lower. When I was attempting to start trying my GP said my HBA1c was excellent at 49 which in my mind wasnt good enough but she explained that they tend to set targets extremely tight just to keep you on your toes!

I am on Levemir and think the peaks and troughs mess me up...as soon as I see I got it wrong I attempt to fix it the next day and low and behold it goes pear shaped again! I have to be so careful with my doses as I find a tiny amount of extra insulin is enough to tip me into hypo then I correct the hypo and i go on the rollercoaster which I think is the worst scenario so while this average is not perfect it works for me as the alternative is hypos which are worse a few 8s and 9s occassionally and the odd double digit isnt the end of the world as soon as i see double digits i correct. In the meantime waiting for an appointment with endo in a few wks to discuss maybe changing to Fiasp and Toujeo or Tresiba, how do you find the Toujeo? I really wish you all the best for your pregnancy take comfort that many diabetic mothers had healthy pregnancies when they didnt have all the modern equipment we have....the fact that your worried means your already a fantastic mother! ❤❤❤❤

jenni34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am currently 8weeks 2 days and my meter average also hovers between 6.8 to 7.2 probably more on the 7.2 side most of the time! This result for me is not perfect but not the worst...I am a perfectionist and very tough on myself and in my first pregnancy i think it was a lot lower. When I was attempting to start trying my GP said my HBA1c was excellent at 49 which in my mind wasnt good enough but she explained that they tend to set targets extremely tight just to keep you on your toes!

I am on Levemir and think the peaks and troughs mess me up...as soon as I see I got it wrong I attempt to fix it the next day and low and behold it goes pear shaped again! I have to be so careful with my doses as I find a tiny amount of extra insulin is enough to tip me into hypo then I correct the hypo and i go on the rollercoaster which I think is the worst scenario so while this average is not perfect it works for me as the alternative is hypos which are worse a few 8s and 9s occassionally and the odd double digit isnt the end of the world as soon as i see double digits i correct. In the meantime waiting for an appointment with endo in a few wks to discuss maybe changing to Fiasp and Toujeo or Tresiba, how do you find the Toujeo? I really wish you all the best for your pregnancy take comfort that many diabetic mothers had healthy pregnancies when they didnt have all the modern equipment we have....the fact that your worried means your already a fantastic mother! ❤❤❤❤
Hi thanks for reply I've found toujeo a life saver as it works over a few days so don't have to inject daily and it really improved my HBAC1.

I still have hypos but that's because Im to quick to correct if I get a high reading x

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi thanks for reply I've found toujeo a life saver as it works over a few days so don't have to inject daily and it really improved my HBAC1.

I still have hypos but that's because Im to quick to correct if I get a high reading x
Yep I can be guilty of that at times too ...over correcting but Ive learned now that a high sometimes is better cz if i correct to quickly I end up with a really bad low and then when i treat it i end up with a high so I think thats worse! Before correcting a high now I take into consideration insulin on board before I jump the gun.....im gonna ask my endo about Fiasp as it supposodly works much quicker so there would be less scope for insulin stacking i think!