pregnancy + diabetes = feeling alone

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hey all first of all I want to apologise as I no this will sound pathetic as people are going through so much worse.

10th of march found out I was type 2 diabetic started on metformin

15th march last period

16th march admitted into hospital due to stupidly high blood sugars

long story short I spent a few days in hospital on a drip and the docs decided insulin was my best bet. I started on 4 units fast acting with every meal and 6 units of slow release. I'm now on 20 units of each plus metformin. I'm really struggling with what I can and can't eat and feeling full and missing my "old eating habits"

I guess I'm posting this cuz I would really like some people to talk to and some pointers and most of all to tell me I'm not alone

thank you for reading and hope you wanna get InTouch im not a complete moaning mini ive just been broken by the big D diabetes

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Charlotte,

I'm sorry to hear about your worries. How far along are you? Are you carb counting? I'm type 1 so I can eat my choosing but need to carb count to ensure I don't spike. Is this not the same for you? X

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hey thank you for your message atm they are trying to find the right dose of insulin for me but they haven't said anything about food. I'm only about 6 weeks so I'm soooooooo worried things will only get so much worse my numbers have gone from 14-17 before meals to 9-12 so loads better but not what they should be

Reactions: himtoo

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well I'm just coming up on 6 weeks too. So we have something in common. That's a good improvement, it sounds like you need some more adjustments to get them further down. When is your next appointment? I'm not sure of how they treat those with type 2 in comparison to type 1 but they will see you very often, every 2 weeks?

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yay congratulations still waiting for my first proper appointment but have been told every 2 weeks. I have 4 other children but never been diabetic and pregnant before when first diagnosed i was all positive and happy to make the changes but its all frizzled out

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You need to aim for nice low levels as much as possible. So test lots. For now whilst you insulin isn't really correct you need to lower your carb intake. I know this seems hard but it should only be for a few weeks until your insulin regime is sorted.

Try carb alternatives which are much lower or shouldn't spike your levels as much e.g. Change mashed potato for mashed celeriac or roasted and mashed butternut squash, avoid sugary drinks even fruit juices, fruits like melon are lower in carbs than bananas etc. Try to eat higher fat and protein meals and take out or reduce carb amounts.

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you I would pretty much say I'm doing this maybe having mash or pasta once a week as a treat. Its so difficult getting my head around it all I was just getting my head straight about being diabetic then bam mother nature too another hit and forgot to bring my period

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done on making those changes. I suggest I really good book which is called carbs and cals. I use it every day and they have an app too. It makes you realise how many carbs your eating e.g my pre diabetes portion of pasta would have been about 265g which is 90g carbs. Now I have about 140g which is about 50g carbs. This is more than enough and I've found I just ate the bigger portion because it was on my plate. I would say as much as possible you need to even put out the pasta as it will spike you a lot. If I didn't object my new smaller portion of pasta would make me go from 5mmol to about 12-15mmols. Even with insulin I have to inject 30-40 minutes before I eat to control the spike.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @charlotteD88
I can't really help with any issues -- but when I just read your original post -- I thought I had to tell you that you are not alone .
I battle the D beast every day ( but without an added pregnancy )

big hugs from me lovely [[[[[hugs]]]]

keep up your spirits and do your best -- :)

Reactions: azure