Pregnancy fears

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey there

I am thinking of starting a family this year, but am actually quite frightened at the prospect of managing diabetes whilst pregnant (dka etc). Can anyone offer their experiences or advice? Even just to calm my mind a little x

leah86

I have had a baby 5 months ago Drs like sugars to be kept lower than usual anywhere between 3.5 and 7 mine where usually a little higher than this but they monitor baby weights with regular scans and tend to bring labour on earlier I was 37 weeks and baby weighed 7.2 I was on glucose insulin drip during labour but no dka and baby was happy and healthy although babies sugars was low after birth managed with hourly feeds and this is common for a baby when mum is diabetic baby now fine and no sign of diabetes go for it good luck in the future. X

Edited by a mod

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How's your HbA1C?

There's no need to be frightened :) A diabetic pregnancy is hard work because you have to keep tight control, but it's every bit as enjoyable and wonderful as a non-diabetic pregnancy :)

Speak to your DSN about a pre-conception clinic and have a read round this section.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't be frightened @Lynz84

I'm currently 30weeks pregnant, have had many, MANY Lows but that's much more preferable than highs as they have no effect on the baby whereas highs do. I've not had dka but have had ketones twice, that was through having hypermesis and constantly being sick which can happen to anyone not just diabetics.

How is your diabetes management generally? Do you have a good a1c? If you don't already you'd be best to get on top of sorting that out first and speak to diabetes team about being put on a high dose of folic acid.

Also do your best not to stress yourself out as that will also raise bg's and that's what you're wanting to avoid

Xx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lynz84 ive been type1 since I was 2- I went onto a pump mainly as I wanted children and personally couldn't have managed without (but lots of ladies do). I have had good hba1cs throughout my pregnancies especially with my twins-I did have a few highs now and again though.
Unfortunately with my daughter who is now 2 I developed pre eclampsia and have to have an emergency section delivered prem. She was also diagnosed type1 a couple of months ago.
My twins are just 7m born prem also. My little boy was seriously ill but now doing really well.
I never had ketones or dka but wasn't well at all when I was pregnant with the twins so really hard work keeping blood sugars in range. But honestly it's worth all the hard work when you have baby xx

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.

Thank you so much for your posts!! Im under no illusions of it being easy but think im mayb afraid of dka or damaging the baby. Youve really helped me think about it.
My a1c could be a little lower so will work harder on this and then go to the pre-conception clinic. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all.

Thank you so much for your posts!! Im under no illusions of it being easy but think im mayb afraid of dka or damaging the baby. Youve really helped me think about it.
My a1c could be a little lower so will work harder on this and then go to the pre-conception clinic. X

Hi, Just to let you know I had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old, my BS weren't too bad, had more low's, so lots of testing and adjusting Insulin doses. Try not to stress yourself out, find out as much as you can and you can look forward to a possible pregnancy. With best wishes.

Bizzy-Bee

Hi @Lynz84.

It's good that you're thinking of all this in advance. I'm type 1 and currently 21 weeks pregnant. My A1c was 7.4 when I found out I was pregnant and I got it down to 6.1 within 5 weeks. The hospital have really helped me to control the diabetes and I see them every 2 weeks.

It's not an easy ride as your targets are lowered - they want you to go no higher than 7.8 after meals but mine frequently go higher than this and the diabetes team haven't been too concerned. This does also means you have a lot of hypos. I won't pretend it's easy. I was having up to 4 hypos a night at the beginning whilst adjusting to my new insulin requirements but it gets easier and I'm sure it will be completely worth it!

I agree with the above comments - you should ask about a pre-conception clinic and start taking folic acid when you start trying. Diabetics need a much higher dose of folic acid so you'll need this on prescription.

I've been told that I'll probably be induced around 2 weeks early, which is normal for type 1s.

I felt exactly the same as you when I started thinking about a family so I understand how you're feeling. Just get the A1c into a good range before you get pregnant! Good luck! x