pregnancy

Ellana 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All I am 27 and would love to become preganant can type1 diabetics have healthy babies has anyone any advice?thanks

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Hi All I am 27 and would love to become preganant can type1 diabetics have healthy babies has anyone any advice?thanks
Bump.

I can't help but I'm bumping to put you back at top of list. Hopefully you'll get advice soon.

Welcome to the forum.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes but it's very hard work. You need an A1c that's 6% or lower ideally and usually the baby will be delivered at 38 weeks rather than 40. The definitely won't let you go over.
There is a higher risk of infant death and also some birth defects if blood sugars aren't tightly controlled.
I have two children. First pregnancy was ok. Second one was really hard going. You need to speak to your diabetes team about it all and make sure your control is as tight as possible. If you go ahead and fall pregnant you will have a lot of extra hospital appointments and scans compared to a healthy person.
You also have to weigh up the risk of passing t1 on which I wish someone had drummed home to me as we may have looked at adoption if perhaps we had realised how risky it was.

That said lots of t1 diabetics do have perfectly healthy babies and pregnancies. Good luck!

Ellana 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all how long did you take folic acid for before your pregnancy? Thanks

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hello
I’m pretty much in the same boat as you. The advice from my consultant was I needed to reduce my HbA1c before I could even consider a baby. I reduced my HbA1c from 79 to 52 (room for improvement but my consultant was happy) and then got prescribed folic acid. You can just buy it but the prescribed dose is higher. Ideally they say take for a few months before trying.
Best of luck!