Pregnant - am I ready to go through all this again?

abc1

hello,

Anti carb you are scaring me with the prospect of a 4 stone weight gain! I had heard that insulin can effect weight but never really understood how/why etc

I have just found the last few days that my readings are all over the place, probably not too bad for lots of people but very out of the ordinary for me, e.g. waking with reading 6.5-7.5 as opposed to 3.8 - 4.8 which would be my usual target. Random high readings in the daytime 2 or 3 hours after eating. I have increased both night time and day time levemir, and now have to take lots of insulin with evening meals having previously been pretty much able not to bother! I am considering returning to a lower carb diet, at least for evening meals but I have been reminded of the joys, and ease, of meals with carbs so I may just give it a little longer....

Hellbunny - I aim for a level of 7, about 2 hours after eating, I was told never to take notice of a reading an hour after eating as too soon. I also aim for readings below 6 before eating, but to be honest there are times when i'm just too hungry and i just take additional insulin with snack/meal. I do have hypo's but no where near as many as earlier on in the pregnancy, i had blocks of 2 or 3 weeks when would have 1 every night and a couple a day, just because there was no continuity in insulin requirements.

First trimester is rubbish, although to be truthful not a great fan of the 2nd so far! Bring on summertime!

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi Both

Normally you take a reading 2 hours after a meal but in pregnancy it is 1. I must have the strictest consultant, he says it has to be under 7 one hour earlier but I know the NICE guidelines are less stringent at 7.8 so that's what I kind of work to. It is hard work though, as soon as it is low enough to pass the target I think I will go hypo in another hour or so (and I am often right)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
ABC1 how far along are you now? When you were aiming for morning readings of 3.8 - 4.8 were you not hypoing at night? Sorry i'm still newish to Basal/Levemir (i had a long honeymoon period and only needed novorapid until pregnancy (so a couple of months in now) x

Anticarb, i also find that aswell, i can get most of my 1hour readings under 7.8 but guaranteed within 20 minutes i am below 3.5, sometimes i don't realise until i'm in the 2's, but thankfully i've gained abit more awareness lately (probably due to less hypos as i make sure i eat at the 1hour post meal mark to avoid dipping again 20 minutes later) x

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi Helbunny, what my diabetes team have suggested is to split my meals particularly breakfast so you take all your insulin and then eat half and wait an hour and eat the other half. It seems to work at getting it below 7 without going hypo but it is not very practical!

abc1

Hello both, I am a bit taken aback re recommendation of 1 hour post meal reading, it has never been mentioned. I suppose as I am a bit further down the line (23 weeks) it is a bit late to worry about the past, although I dread to think what my readings were sometimes after an hour, especially with my newly acquired sweet tooth!

Hellbunny; I was diagnosed just over a year ago and never experienced the honeymoon period, I worked hard at getting my morning reading low asap as if that was even a little high it was a struggle all day to bring it under control. I knew I wanted to get pregnant hence the low carb diet and target of low and even readings, although the hospital consultant was concerned when I mentioned my morning target as they worry you will lose hypo awareness. My awareness is quite poor now pregnant, thought I was low the other day but had a reading of 18 - very worrying as was hours after I had eaten, and then took me a while to get it low enough so I was happy to eat again. But the same day, I had taken a routine reading and was 2.2.

Anti carb you are definitely right re extra insulin; now taking total of 8 units for 1.5 slices of toast; if i know splitting breakfast not possible, I take insulin 30 min before eating and this seems to work, although not sure that will be the case anymore. And the thought of returning to slices of cheese with a couple of low carb crackers just not enticing!

Mini40

I got it the first time, during my third pregnancy, only diagnosed at 32 weeks.
Also got pre-eclampsia, and placenta praevia grade 4 to boot. Went on insulin.
Many hospital stays, glucose sliding scales and the like.
She was born at 38 weeks by elective c-section. 2 days in special care.

Fourth baby, got diagnosed at 24 weeks. Pre-eclampsia again.

After many hospital stays, at 35 weeks got admitted until elective c-section at 38 weeks.
Unfortunately, I went to eclampsia on the 2nd night, he was born at 6lbs 1.5 oz, 2 weeks in special care and he was all well after that.

mari1003

Hello ladies,
Can i join this group pls?
Well, i think i am pregnant but each pg test is negative. but i am 6+2 days late at the moment, and no sign of my period coming.
Im already on insulin, humulin i and s, 8 units b, l and dinner and 20 at night and metformin.
I'm having terrible lows too, which makes me think im pg. but doc told me its stress and to test in 2 weeks time.

My first pregnancy, i sailed through easy peasey, but then i lost a baby 18 months ago at 15 weeks. I had a terrible time.
Anyway, my question is, humulin i & s is it any good for getting pg on, because last time i fell pg, i was on novorapid, but had to change to humulin because of the lows i was having.
thanks for listenining ladies,

Mari.