pregnant, scared and fed up - BG issues!

pickle76

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can offer any help, but just need to vent to people who understand.

I'm 6.5 weeks pregnant and have been on a pump since Jan 2012. I got my HBA1c to 6.9% before pregnancy and things had been pretty smooth. However this week I think the pregnancy hormones have really kicked in, plus I'm on holiday and not as active so my blood sugars are all over the place. I'm cuttently running on 130% temp basal rate, have hiked up various time blocks, have increased all my meal ratios, altered my correction factor, testing nearly every hour and correcting all the time. My nightmare time is evenings and it doesn't matter if I eat lower carb or not. I've spoken to my consultant on the phone and she said I'm doing all the right things but it's just gtting so frustrating now. I've been running a blood sugar of 12 all evening tonight depsite correcting 3 times.

I just feel scared and alone, and because my son was born at 33.5 weeks and died 3 weeks later, I'm understandably paranoid and worried this time round. If anyone can offer any advice (or just a friendly word!) I'd really appreciate it. Thanks v much in advance xx

iHs

Hi

Sometimes pumps can be troublesome especially when you are trying yr best to get bg levels down and nothing appears to be working all that well. I would be inclined to use a pen for all my corrections and for the bolus as well just to ensure that bg levels go down. That at least would tell you if there was a problem with the infusion set with any luck.... Have you tried all the infusion sets available?

pickle76

Thanks - hmm yeah that's a good idea. And no, I haven't tried different types of infusion set. I'm on Rapid D and 6mm at the moment (my pump is the Accu-Chek Spirit Combo) so maybe a change? I can ask my DSN next week.

iHs

pickle76 said:
Thanks - hmm yeah that's a good idea. And no, I haven't tried different types of infusion set. I'm on Rapid D and 6mm at the moment (my pump is the Accu-Chek Spirit Combo) so maybe a change? I can ask my DSN next week.

Hi

I think there may be a manufacturing problem with the rapid d. My friend says that she gets loads of bubbles in the tube swivel connector to the set and has had really high bg levels and has been doing the same thing as you are now doing. I think accu chek are now looking in to it.

I am now using the flexlink as it is quite nice to use. Its not painful to put in at all so dont be put off by the load noise made by the inserter. You might get on ok with it. You could also try the Tenderlink but might need to use a pack of frozen peas to numb area off as introducer is longer and goes in diagonal.

In the meantime use yr pen then you cant go too much wrong.............

pickle76

Oh REALLY?! Urgh, didn't know that. Have had 2 major issues in the last couple of weeks (although haven't worked out if it was a site issue, or set issue) so maybe there is something going on with Rapid D's. Thanks for the advice, will definitely ask about Flexlink. And yes, think will at least correct with my pen. Really hope things settle down soon....Cheers x

weeezer

Hi pickle, how are your bg levels doing now? I am new to the accu-chek combo pump so can't offer that much help. But I have had 2 successful diabetic pregnancies (2 early m/c's between my 2 kids & 1 earlier this year @10 wks) I know how erratic my insulin requirements could be, but every time being pregnant has ensured the best possible control I could manage, with lots of testing to keep on top of ever changing needs.

The whole reason I have a pump right now is to help with future possible pregnancy

weeezer

Oops posted too soon...

Anyway my point is I completely understand what a scary time it is, especially with your history. That must have been terrible, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I know you're on a temp basal rate increase but maybe you just need even more at the mo. my second pregnancy I remember being terribly sensitive and was severely hypo (needed help)so needed less insulin but in my recent pregnancy i needed more insulin and increased basal early on.

Let us know how it's going
X

weeezer

Oops posted too soon...

Anyway my point is I completely understand what a scary time it is, especially with your history. That must have been terrible, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

I know you're on a temp basal rate increase but maybe you just need even more at the mo. my second pregnancy I remember being terribly sensitive and was severely hypo (needed help)so needed less insulin but in my recent pregnancy i needed more insulin and increased basal early on.

Let us know how it's going
X

pickle76

Thanks Weezer. Things have settled down a bit now. Am running on 120% during day and 110% at night with a few more ratio and basal tweaks. I'm amazed at how much more insulin I'm needing with meals, so wondering if/when my requirements will go down or if I'll be one of those women who just need more and more insulin all pregnancy! I have a scan booked at 8.5 weeks so will feel better when have seen the heartbeat.

Back to work tomorrow after my week off so bit nervous about changing back to my work profile on my pump. Wondering if I'll need the 120% basal on or not. We'll see I guess!

Thanks for your reply xx